From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-09 22:07:51 -0700, John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> said:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 21:52:49 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <o500s5h7ri981gc7sdn6ks7u0ri0siv1vj(a)4ax.com>, John A.
>> <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that you work it with your fingers instead of a stylus or a
>>> mouse & keyboard doesn't make it fundamentally different. It's just a
>>> detail of the UI design.
>>
>> it makes it very different.
>
> It makes the UI different. Replace a truck's steering wheel and pedals
> with a couple joysticks and you've got a very different driving
> experience, but it's still a truck.

If the interface was really unimportant, we could just go back to
entering 1s and 0s using buttons, paper tape, or punch cards. Who needs
frills like a screen or printer when you can just read the holes on a
paper tape?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: nospam on
In article <hpq5i40pk8(a)news7.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> > an ipad runs a different os than what's on a desktop, with different
> > apps designed for touch. it's not a laptop without a keyboard.
>
> So what?

it's a different product category.
From: nospam on
In article <hpq5i52pk7(a)news7.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> >> Other than the form factor and UI, what is fundamentally different
> >> about it? Other than running a different OS in order to support the
> >> form factor and UI, what is the difference between it and a laptop?
> >
> > it's an entirely different product category that does some of the same
> > things as a traditional computer but with touch. the user experience is
> > very different. it also does a number of things that are difficult or
> > impossible on a desktop or laptop computer.
>
> Name one.

how about four: location aware apps that use the gps and compass,
immersive games that use the accelerometer, a touch interface that's
not slapped onto a desktop os and a 3g radio with a no-contract data
plan that's significantly cheaper than what's available for laptops.
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-10 08:19:56 -0700, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:

> On 4/10/2010 10:16 AM, nospam wrote:
>> In article<pf20s5hsabmvmqq9itm79ndionkgha66iv(a)4ax.com>, John A.
>> <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Other than the form factor and UI, what is fundamentally different
>>> about it? Other than running a different OS in order to support the
>>> form factor and UI, what is the difference between it and a laptop?
>>
>> it's an entirely different product category that does some of the same
>> things as a traditional computer but with touch. the user experience is
>> very different. it also does a number of things that are difficult or
>> impossible on a desktop or laptop computer.
>
> Name one.

Far more portable than either, being thinner and lighter and having no
ungainly protrusions. Apparently it is the form factor itself which has
been praised by most reviewers.

Screen is right side up no matter the display orientation. It may seem
unimportant but it certainly impresses potential customers who have
been viewing my portfolio on my iPhone. The iPad would be even better
for this.

Look, we are photographers. And Rita's practical jokes aside, we are
mostly pretty good photographers. The only thing we have to sell that
differentiates us from one another is image -- and in the image
business, image is everything. If I want to show clients some photos, I
have several options. I can take a projector over to their place and,
with a great deal of fuss and bother and cables and rearranging
furniture and removing things from the wall, project pictures on a, um,
yellow background. I can hang a sheet up. Yeah, that looks professional.

Or I can take a laptop. I can set it up on the dining room table and
everyone can crowd around and look at it while I try to work the
keyboard and stuff. You don't get many jobs by inflicting physical pain
on your customers.

Or I can use an iPad. I can pull it out pretty much wherever I am, like
a business card. I find the picture I want, flip the pad over for the
bride or new mother and her friends to see and they go all giggles over
it. They can take it from me and, without any training whatsoever, hand
it around, browse through the pictures themselves, and so forth. Try
that with a laptop.

I think the iPad is possibly the greatest presentation device to come
along in decades. It is a step far beyond table bound laptops and
desktops.

From: Ray Fischer on
Stuffed Crust <pizza(a)spam.shaftnet.org> wrote:
>C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
>> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
>> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
>> multitasking.
>
>Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
>Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
>(See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

You didn't read that carefully enough.

They say that specific applications have been made 64-bit, not that
the OS was changed.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net