From: nospam on
In article <hpota802oo(a)news7.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> He didn't say that it was a netbook,

so why compare it to one?

> he said that it was less capable
> than a netbook?

it's not less capable. it does *different* things, with some overlap.

> Is the problem that (a) you're not a native speaker of
> English, (b) you failed reading comprehension, (c) you're stupid or (d)
> you're just a jackass?

e) none of the above, but it looks like they apply to you.
From: nospam on
In article <o500s5h7ri981gc7sdn6ks7u0ri0siv1vj(a)4ax.com>, John A.
<john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> The fact that you work it with your fingers instead of a stylus or a
> mouse & keyboard doesn't make it fundamentally different. It's just a
> detail of the UI design.

it makes it very different.
From: nospam on
In article <hp10s5tn7sad5d5b66j9s6hlepbb1p63i4(a)4ax.com>, John A.
<john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> >> The fact that you work it with your fingers instead of a stylus or a
> >> mouse & keyboard doesn't make it fundamentally different. It's just a
> >> detail of the UI design.
> >
> >it makes it very different.
>
> It makes the UI different. Replace a truck's steering wheel and pedals
> with a couple joysticks and you've got a very different driving
> experience, but it's still a truck.

bad analogy. that's like switching a mouse for a trackpad.

an ipad runs a different os than what's on a desktop, with different
apps designed for touch. it's not a laptop without a keyboard.
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 22:12:57 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> It makes the UI different. Replace a truck's steering wheel and pedals
>>> with a couple joysticks and you've got a very different driving
>>> experience, but it's still a truck.
>>
>>bad analogy. that's like switching a mouse for a trackpad.

> Or a mouse and keyboard for a touch screen. Hmmmm...

>>an ipad runs a different os than what's on a desktop, with different
>>apps designed for touch. it's not a laptop without a keyboard.

> So it's an oversized palmtop? (Come to think of it, my old Tungsten E
> is sounding more and more like an iPad writ small.)

> Other than the form factor and UI, what is fundamentally different
> about it? Other than running a different OS in order to support the
> form factor and UI, what is the difference between it and a laptop?

> Macs, Windows PCs, and Linux PCs have different OSes, each running
> programs designed for them and their UIs. Are they not all computers?

My old university dept has to support users with all three kinds of
computers, and there are some locations where only one type of machine
and OS exists. But they want people to be able to move around and do
their general purpose computer work anywhere. So they devised
interfaces which make them all look and behave the same way when
running the usual office applications. You can't easily tell the
difference when running the usual office applications.

In fact when I'm reading email or newsgroups at home I use an
interface which not only runs the same on any Windows system as an
office Linux machine, it even runs the same on my ancient and obscure
Psion palmtop which runs the little known EPOC OS (versions of which
some Nokia phones use).

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Stuffed Crust on
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
> multitasking.

Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
(See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

> Note that these critics will never tell you what "true" multitasking
> is, either. After all, people might hold the devices and operating
> systems they say are better to the same standards. That would never do.

Okay, do you really want to know? The explanation is going to be
technical and boring, and in the end, you'll probably just counter with
"so what, it looks the same to the user?"

> It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
> iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
> is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen

Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
such simply won't work with a touch interface.

> It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
> have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
> iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
> of multitasking like they are used to.

You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
"multitasking" is to suit your argument?

> There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
> of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
> does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.

See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
also have to get special dispensation.

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^