From: ray on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 21:13:51 -0700, nospam wrote:

> In article <827ijtF2hkU52(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Half a netbook for over twice the price - what's the point?
>
> it's not a netbook, nor is it half one.

You're right, of course, it doesn't even have half the capability of a
netbook - though it does cost over twice as much.
From: ray on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 06:17:38 -0700, Mr. Strat wrote:

> In article <827ijtF2hkU52(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:09:40 -0700, RichA wrote:
>>
>> > Wait for HP to release its version. No USB port Apple? Are you THAT
>> > paranoid about content control??
>>
>> Half a netbook for over twice the price - what's the point?
>
> The iPad will outperform a netbook easily.

That I've got to see! What about all the lacking capability?
From: SMS on
On 08/04/10 7:44 PM, ray wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:09:40 -0700, RichA wrote:
>
>> Wait for HP to release its version. No USB port Apple? Are you THAT
>> paranoid about content control??
>
> Half a netbook for over twice the price - what's the point?

There are several points:

1. $15 or $30/month data service, with unlimited service for half of
what Verizon and AT&T charge for 5GB on a laptop.

2. An apps store filled with low cost games and other content.

3. 10 hours of battery life, something no laptop or netbook can match.

4. An attempt to expand the market share of the iPhone OS.

Bottom line, despite the iPhone's success, it still is far behind the
two dominant mobile phone OSes in terms of market share, and Android is
growing at a much faster rate. Apple needs to quickly increase market
penetration of their mobile OS before Android can dominate. That's why
they're finally coming out with a Verizon version of the
iPhone--ignoring the largest U.S. carrier, that has the largest and
fasted 3G network, is no longer going to work because Android devices
will fill the void if Apple doesn't act quickly.

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-09 08:20:51 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:

> In article <4bbf3f57$0$1632$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
> <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Obviously you missed today's presentation on iPhone OS 4.0. Jobs
>>> Also, 4.0 will have true multitasking, so you are wrong about that, too.
>>
>> Nope, unfortunately 4.0 doesn't have true multi-tasking. They made a
>> little progress, but they are not there yet. You must have missed the
>> presentation on 4.0.
>
> it's very definitely 'true multitasking,' which is really nothing more
> than a meaningless buzzword.
>
>> What you need to understand is that nearly all the peripherals now being
>> used with tablets and thin clients in vertical applications are
>> connected via USB. In many instances there are even older interfaces
>> being used. These devices aren't going to be redesigned, and replaced,
>> to work with a device that lacks the most popular and most basic of I/O.
>> It was a conscious decision of Apple to not include connectivity that
>> would allow the iPad to be used in ways that did not generate revenue
>> from content.
>
> bullshit.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But then, it is SMS, who gets his
facts right about as often as Rich does.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-09 17:20:00 -0700, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> said:

> On 2010-04-09 08:20:51 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:

>>> Nope, unfortunately 4.0 doesn't have true multi-tasking. They made a
>>> little progress, but they are not there yet. You must have missed the
>>> presentation on 4.0.
>>
>> it's very definitely 'true multitasking,' which is really nothing more
>> than a meaningless buzzword.
>>
>>> What you need to understand is that nearly all the peripherals now being
>>> used with tablets and thin clients in vertical applications are
>>> connected via USB. In many instances there are even older interfaces
>>> being used. These devices aren't going to be redesigned, and replaced,
>>> to work with a device that lacks the most popular and most basic of I/O.
>>> It was a conscious decision of Apple to not include connectivity that
>>> would allow the iPad to be used in ways that did not generate revenue
>>> from content.
>>
>> bullshit.
>
> Couldn't have said it better myself. But then, it is SMS, who gets his
> facts right about as often as Rich does.

I have my WiFi router at home and I have 2 printers and a hard drive
hooked up to that. My backups for a MacBook Pro and a desktop Mac are
done via Timemachine wirelessly on my home WiFi network. All of my
printing is done wirelessly the same way. I have no USB print or hard
drive peripherals hooked up at all.
My phone (not an iPhone) is also connected to the network via WiFi, as
is my iPod Touch.

I still use some Firewire portable drives from OWC, and I plug in the
occasional USB thumbdrive. However, it would be easy enough to attach a
USB hub to the WiFi router for all of that, if I ever bought an iPad,
which for now I have no need.

--
Regards,

Savageduck