From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Apr 11, 8:01�pm, Winniethep...(a)100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:
>> In article <110420101639447786%...@nospam.techline.com>, "Mr. Strat" <r...(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>> >Lacking what...a camera? USB is so 20th century...get with it, man.
>>
>> The only reason the iPad lacks a USB port is so that Apple can controll every
>> bit that passes from one location to the next. They can charge for the
>> bandwidth.
>
>They are bucking for the same kinds of fines in Europe that Microsoft
>has faced.

You really don't know the first thing about business, do you?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Josh on
"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 9, 11:33 am, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/10 7:02 AM, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
> > "RichA"<rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Wait for HP to release its version. No USB port Apple? Are you THAT
> >> paranoid about content control??
>
> > No they are that predatory about locking in customers...
>
> The iPad is a media consumption device (MCD). It's not about locking in
> customers, it's about selling media content. Think of the iPad as a
> Kindle with expanded functionality for gaming, web browsing, and
> entertainment and education, not as a tablet PC with reduced
> functionality.

We are still in the infancy of things other than notebooks and home
computers. We can avoid this overpriced junk until something better
comes along. Something 8.5x11, that is 5mm thick, relatively light,
folds in half, has a screen where you can choose reflective and
emission display and is FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

>The attacks on the iPad seem to be based on "it can't do
> all these things that a laptop or a netbook can do but it costs more"
> while the focus should be on the things that it can do better than a
> laptop or netbook.

The one button printing is pretty cool:
http://www.theformgroup.com/about/blog/2010/04/how-to-print-from-an-ipad

From: whisky-dave on

"Josh" <me(a)privacy.blah> wrote in message
> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 9, 11:33 am, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/04/10 7:02 AM, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>>
>> > "RichA"<rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > No they are that predatory about locking in customers...
>>
>> The iPad is a media consumption device (MCD). It's not about locking in
>> customers, it's about selling media content. Think of the iPad as a
>> Kindle with expanded functionality for gaming, web browsing, and
>> entertainment and education, not as a tablet PC with reduced
>> functionality.
>
> We are still in the infancy of things other than notebooks and home
> computers. We can avoid this overpriced junk until something better
> comes along.
Depends on how long 'we' have to wait, in the UK it's an extra month.

> Something 8.5x11, that is 5mm thick, relatively light,
> folds in half, has a screen where you can choose reflective and
> emission display and is FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

Nah not worth it I'm waiting for the 40" widescreen version
that can fold up to the size of a postage stamp and won;t ever need
charging.
And if it's fully fuctioning I'd expect a specialsed socket for pron, and a
kettle point
and a bottle opener.

From: Roy Smith on
In article <hq9ldn$ftb$1(a)qmul>,
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

> And if it's fully fuctioning I'd expect a specialsed socket for pron, and a
> kettle point
> and a bottle opener.

Kettle point? What's that? Google and Wikipedia only come up with
references to geographic locations.
From: Robert Haar on
On 4/16/10 8:32 AM, "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

> "Josh" <me(a)privacy.blah> wrote in message

>> Something 8.5x11, that is 5mm thick, relatively light,
>> folds in half, has a screen where you can choose reflective and
>> emission display and is FULLY FUNCTIONAL!
>
> Nah not worth it I'm waiting for the 40" widescreen version
> that can fold up to the size of a postage stamp and won;t ever need
> charging.
> And if it's fully fuctioning I'd expect a specialsed socket for pron, and a
> kettle point
> and a bottle opener.

You are not thinking far enough ahead. Let's get away from the need for a
physical display and keyboard entirely. How about a device that projects a
virtual screen (maybe a holographic 3D display) and uses a camera or laser
to track hand and finger motions. Package it into a small unit, maybe a set
of glasses or even a neural implant.

But you might have to wait 10 to 20 years for it to be practical.

Personally, I think the iPad is the next step in transforming how people
interact with computers but we will have to see if the design works for
enough people to catch on. For the people who want a PC experience in a
tablet form factor, the iPad isn't it and isn't intended to be.