From: nospam on
In article
<456adbbe-58cd-4a3d-992e-6be3c0e61c6f(a)k41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Because you can enjoy music and audiobooks simultaneously.
> >
> > maybe you can but most people can't or simply don't want to.
>
> Or maybe they didn't realize they could and they didn't realize that
> it
> is extremely enjoyable.

i'm pretty sure that most people who listen to an audio book don't also
want music playing. it's just not a feature that's very important.

> The pleasure derived from listening
> to good music adds up to the pleasure derived from listening
> to a fascinating audiobook.

get an audiobook with music then.

> Sometimes I worry that I might die of a pleasure overdose, but
> pleasure is one of those rare things that you can't have too much of.

> Far more easy to listen to an audiobook than to read a book. Listening
> to a book
> is a passive activity where you have your mind available to reflect
> upon the
> content of the book, while reading is an active talk that can make you
> tired
> as it requires effort on your part to make your eyes trace the
> sentences and
> you constantly have to match the end of the line to the start of the
> subsequent
> line.

yet more people read books than listen to them.

> Evolutionarily speaking, sound and spoken language is much more
> ingrained in our evolutionary makeup compared to written language that
> you have to convert to spoken language in your head.

whatever.

> > so get an app that lets you mix. it's not something most people are
> > going to want to do.
>
> No, because why would you need a separate application for
> multitasking.. that's silly.

playing two sounds simultaneously is not what most people would call
multitasking.

> All you need is simply 2 or 3 music players that will play
> simultaneously and independently.

it's not something that very many people care to do.

> > it's not a pocket computer.
>
> Hehehe... right.. Apple has put so many restrictions on its
> functionality that you can't
> consider it a real pocket computer.

nonsense.
From: sobriquet on
On 18 apr, 23:03, nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <9da85dbb-6246-41cf-a662-d3faf8a52...(a)x12g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,
>
> sobriquet <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Multitasking is multitasking..
>
> nope.

Multitasking simply means running more than one application at the
same time.

> > on the PC you also have many programs
> > running at the same time, so it's only natural to expect this from a
> > pocket computer.
>
> nope. what works on a desktop is not appropriate for a mobile device
> that has a small screen, limited memory and a battery. it's not like
> you can create more swap files on the large hard drive inside it.

You're telling me that a feature I've been enjoying for almost a year
(since I got the HTC) is inappropriate?

My HTC PPC might be slow, but the multitasking rocks. If they speed it
up
so you can quickly switch between applications via the task manager,
it
would be even more awesome, but slow multitasking is better than no
multitasking.

The battery life is not so bad.. I can enjoy running 3 applications
for more than 5 hours on end with the 1800mAh battery.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dohduhdah/Experimenteel#5450182965366646162

> > If the iPhone is not a pocket computer it's probably because Apple has
> > severely limited it's functionality to the point where it's more of a
> > toy phone than a real pocket computer like the HTC PPC.
>
> technically it's a computer but that doesn't matter to users. it's a
> phone that does a lot of stuff, much more than an htc ppc device.

One cool thing about the HTC is that all the applications can be
downloaded for
free from p2p and you can also customize it because windows mobile
has a registry just like regular windows.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:03:13 -0700, nospam wrote:

>> If the iPhone is not a pocket computer it's probably because Apple has
>> severely limited it's functionality to the point where it's more of a
>> toy phone than a real pocket computer like the HTC PPC.
>
> technically it's a computer but that doesn't matter to users. it's a
> phone that does a lot of stuff, much more than an htc ppc device.

That's right. Technically, a modern dishwasher is a computer. A modern
refrigerator is a computer. But most people don't want these to be as
functional (and _complex_) as a 'real' computer. The iPhone does what it's
designed to do, and does it well.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: nospam on
In article
<ce82f631-d684-4c9c-a3bd-f979d41fba6c(a)g11g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Multitasking is multitasking..
> >
> > nope.
>
> Multitasking simply means running more than one application at the
> same time.

which means that all iphones do it.

> > > on the PC you also have many programs
> > > running at the same time, so it's only natural to expect this from a
> > > pocket computer.
> >
> > nope. what works on a desktop is not appropriate for a mobile device
> > that has a small screen, limited memory and a battery. it's not like
> > you can create more swap files on the large hard drive inside it.
>
> You're telling me that a feature I've been enjoying for almost a year
> (since I got the HTC) is inappropriate?

no, read what i wrote again.

> My HTC PPC might be slow,

there's one issue.

> but the multitasking rocks. If they speed it up
> so you can quickly switch between applications via the task manager,

you can't quickly switch apps??? two issues.

> it would be even more awesome, but slow multitasking is better than no
> multitasking.

that's why doing it exactly the same as a desktop computer is not
necessarily the best way.

> The battery life is not so bad.. I can enjoy running 3 applications
> for more than 5 hours on end with the 1800mAh battery.

that long?

the iphone is rated at up to 9 hours of internet use on wifi, up to 10
hours of video playback and up to 30 hours of audio playback, and
that's with a battery that has *less* mah.

> One cool thing about the HTC is that all the applications can be
> downloaded for
> free from p2p and you can also customize it because windows mobile
> has a registry just like regular windows.

p2p as in pirated? that's hardly a 'cool thing.'

how many apps are there? the iphone is approximately 200k now.
From: sobriquet on
On 18 apr, 23:30, Robert Spanjaard <spamt...(a)arumes.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:03:13 -0700, nospam wrote:
> >> If the iPhone is not a pocket computer it's probably because Apple has
> >> severely limited it's functionality to the point where it's more of a
> >> toy phone than a real pocket computer like the HTC PPC.
>
> > technically it's a computer but that doesn't matter to users. it's a
> > phone that does a lot of stuff, much more than an htc ppc device.
>
> That's right. Technically, a modern dishwasher is a computer. A modern
> refrigerator is a computer. But most people don't want these to be as
> functional (and _complex_) as a 'real' computer. The iPhone does what it's
> designed to do, and does it well.
>
> --
> Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com

The iPhone does what Apple allows it to do and Apple isn't very open
minded about
what kind of functionality their users might enjoy.