From: SMS on
On 19/04/10 7:28 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
> David J. Littleboy<davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote:

>>> Name one computer maker that provides a warranty that last for several
>>> years.
>>
>> Dell Japan. You get a repair person at your site the next business day for
>> three years
>
> Only three years? Tsk. And you had to go to Japan. Tsk.

In the U.S., many of Dell's business line of machines have three year
warranties. I have two Dell Latitudes in the house that came with those.
Also, the warranties are fully transferable. The Dell's I bought were
very inexpensive off-lease machines that still had two years of the
warranty left. One of them was loaded with all sorts of stuff I didn't
really care about, like a fingerprint reader and an internal 3G card. It
was a choice of a low end consumer machine with a 1 year warranty, or a
higher-end commercial machine with a two year warranty. Another factor
was that I wanted a machine that could dock, and that's rare these days.

From: sobriquet on
On 20 apr, 14:42, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On 19 apr, 14:59, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> >> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> If I'm listening to a facsinating audio book then why would I want to
> >> listen
> >> to music ?
>
> > Why do people usually enjoy music in a bar during their conversations?
>
> because the  conversations aren't of interest to everyone present.
> Usually during group conversations the music is a backdrop.

Well, in my opinion, the vast majority of people enjoy music during
many of their activities, like working out or commuting to and from
work or school.
Some people might claim they can't focus on their attention optimally
when there is music to distract them, but surely not all activities
demand our full attention and hence often you have at least some
fraction of your attention available to enjoy music (or audiobooks) in
the background.

> >> There's little proof that the human brain can mulititask, what is does is
> >> ignore whatever other inmut is present, it's more time slicing than
> >> multitasking.
>
> > So if you have a conversation with someone, you can't walk and you
> > have to stand still and
> > keep your eyes closed in order to keep track of the conversation?
>
> Well I don;t maybe you do ;-)
> But do you understand the difference between such things.
> I can breathe while asleep that isn't multitasking either.
> If you get down to small time events you'd understand how it works.

It might not be true multitasking in the sense of doing more than one
thing
at the same time, but subjectively we experience it that way because
by rapidly alternating
between different activities, the continuity of these activities in
our awareness and memory gives the impression of multiple activities
going on simultaneously.

> > Your brain might be different from a typical human brain.
>
> Well I wouldn;t mind one that can defy the laws of physics.

Laws of physics are a mere figment of our lively imagination. Reality
is under no obligation to live up to our expectations, however
entrenched.
Take Newtons idea of absolute time and space for instance that looked,
at that time, like nothing could ever refute such intuitive and
scientifically confirmed notions.
From: Ray Fischer on
SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>On 19/04/10 7:28 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
>> David J. Littleboy<davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote:

>>> Dell Japan. You get a repair person at your site the next business day for
>>> three years
>>
>> Only three years? Tsk. And you had to go to Japan. Tsk.
>
>In the U.S., many of Dell's business line of machines have three year
>warranties.

Which the Army pays for.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: nospam on
In article
<a2bf710e-d736-46a5-be43-5abe39cf61d2(a)x38g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Laws of physics are a mere figment of our lively imagination.

uh huh.
From: Ray Fischer on
John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>> nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>

>>>And if you have true multitasking you can set a complex filter working
>>>on your image in the background while you switch over to checking
>>>email while you wait for it to finish.
>>
>>On a PHONE?!?
>
>The thread's about the iPad, right?

If you're arguing that the iPad is not well suited to doing heavy
computational tasks like image processing them my response is...

No duh? Do you have an _intelligent_ complaint?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net