From: Jon on
Anders Ekl?f <andekl_no(a)saaf_spam.se> wrote:

> Is it ?
> 1. OP never said the drive are USB.

I didn't claim he did. "The point" that I referred to was Tim's, and I
said that it (the point that this Mac _cannot_ boot from USB) is valid
as far as the OP's Mac is concerned. Not as a description of his current
problem, because as you say he has - or claims he has - booted from the
same drives on the same machine previously. But it is valid technically;
i.e., he also will not (ever) be able to boot from the drives if they
are/were USB.

But I admit that the point (!) is probably only of academic interest,
re. Mike's pertinent posting.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
From: J.J. O'Shea on
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:40:29 -0400, Tony Winston wrote
(in article <45323A68.FFC9E8D7(a)address.com>):

> I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.

what size, what type, and how old are these drives? LaCie D2 drives are
_much_ more reliable than Porsche Design drives, but they still die. I just
had a 3 or 4 year old 200GB D2 go titsup on me.

> I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
> now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
> drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.

Can you access the drives from OS 9's Finder? If so, did you do _anything_ to
the drives from the Finder, or using an OS 9 disk utility, _especially_ any
version of Norton Utilties?

> When I try to start from the external drives, the still Apple logo
> appears on a gray background and nothing else happens -- even after five
> minutes of waiting -- forcing me to pull the plug out of the surge
> protector and to shut off the external drive that I was trying to start from.

Have you tried using verbose startup (command-v) to see what's happening (or
not happening)? Have you started from the OS X install CD and run Disk
Utility?

> Why is this happening and how can I solve it?

There could be several reasons.

1 disk directory corruption. Disk Utility's 'Repair' facility will sometimes
fix that. You might need heavy artillery: Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, Tech
Tool Pro, something like that. Not Norton anything under any circumstances.

2 permissions problems. Disk Utility's 'Permissions' facility will fix that.

3 you, or someone else, or some software tool (<cough> Norton Utilities,
especially the Speed Disk app </cough>) moved, altered, or deleted one or
more essential OS X component under OS 9. Under OS X there would have been a
"Don't do that!" alert, but OS 9 doesn't know anything about OS X. A simple
fix of the permissions might fix it... or you might get to do a reinstall.

4 the drive might be flakey. Unlikely with two drives at the same time.

5 OS 9's Startup Disk might be flakey. Try booting up holding down the option
key. On a G4 you should get a blue screen which will have icons of the
bootable volumes. Click on one of the OS X volumes and see if it boots. Do a
cmd-v to turn on verbose startup so that you can see the boot process... and
see if it stops somewhere.

> I hope this behaviour isn't exemplary of the reliability of O.S.X.

Nah. I _have_ seen this behaviour on Macs which can, and do, boot OS 9 and on
which certain Norton tools are operational. In particular, I've seen Speed
Disk flat out kill OS X installs. Do not use Norton Utilities anywhere near
OS X.

From: =?ISO-8859-9?Q?Kir=E1ly?= on
Jon <see_signature(a)mac.com.invalid> wrote:
> I didn't claim he did. "The point" that I referred to was Tim's, and I
> said that it (the point that this Mac _cannot_ boot from USB) is valid
> as far as the OP's Mac is concerned. Not as a description of his current
> problem, because as you say he has - or claims he has - booted from the
> same drives on the same machine previously. But it is valid technically;
> i.e., he also will not (ever) be able to boot from the drives if they
> are/were USB.

That's not entirely true. There are reports of PPC Macs booting from USB,
but only if the USB drive is connected via certian third party PCI USB
cards. I've never heard of a PowerPC Mac booting OS X from the built-in
USB bus.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
From: Just Another on
In article <1hn8yzn.njx49a4sk6dlN%mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn(a)bitstream.net> wrote:
>
> > OS X is, I think, the default on all G4 Macs and Macs
> > introduced after 1/1/03 aren't supposed to be able to boot from OS 9
> > IIRC.
>
> He never said which G4 he has, but it's clearly one that boots from OS
> 9.
>
> > From the technical perspective- are the external drives FireWire or USB?
> > My understanding is that you can't boot OS X from an external USB drive.
> > There are issues with the chipset used in FireWire drives and their
> > suitability for booting, resulting in some FW drives not being bootable.
>
> The thing is, he _was_ booting from OS X previously, so he must be using
> compatible FireWire drives. I think you may be onto something in
> suspecting a hardware or OS 9 issue, though, because the odds of
> developing software problems on two drives simultaneously are very low.

I have a friend who calls me periodically to resolve a similar problem.
He has a G4 tower w/OSX 10.3. When his kid plays computer games (under
OS9 Classic), and then shuts the computer down, he has the same no-boot
symptom.

The solution I always give him is to get his *OS9* install disk, boot
from that, choose Select Startup Volume from the Apple menu, and then
select the volume with OSX on it as the boot device. Then reboot & away
he goes. It seems like, when shutting down from Classic, somehow the
volume w/Classic is selected as the boot volume.

Hope that helps the OP. Why my friend can't remember the sequence is
another, trickier, issue. ;-)

From: Tony Winston on
Anders Ekl?f wrote:

> Jon <see_signature(a)mac.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Tim McNamara <timmcn(a)bitstream.net> wrote:
> >
> > > My understanding is that you can't boot OS X from an external USB drive.
> >
> > On present-day Macs you can. At least Intel Macs and I believe recent
> > G5s, possibly other models. But the OP's G4 certainly cannot boot from
> > USB. SO the point is valid as far as he is concerned.
>
> Is it ?
> 1. OP never said the drive are USB.
> 2. OP states he has been able to boot from each drive.
> Thus I take for granted they are FireWire drives.

They're Firewire drives.

Tony