From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <4533CD87.72745136(a)address.com>, Tony Winston
<unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner wrote:
> >
> > In article <4532B4AE.BA89E9(a)address.com>,
> > Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
> > > after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
> > > installing X.)
> >
> > No, the Mac documentation does not say that.
>
> It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
> choose Classic once X has started the drive.

To launch Classic under OS X, that is correct. To boot into OS 9 you
choose Startup Disk in the OS X system preferences, select your OS 9
system folder and reboot.

If a Mac was ever able to boot into OS 9, it is currently able to boot
into OS 9. You are misinterpreting whatever documentation it is that
you are reading, plain and simple.
From: Tony Winston on
Mike Rosenberg wrote:

> Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
>
> > > No, the Mac documentation does not say that.
> >
> > It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
> > choose Classic once X has started the drive.
>
> You've misinterpreted it. That's how you run OS 9 apps while booted in
> OS X. You can still boot up in OS 9 directly should you choose to do
> so.
>
> > > In other words, you got an 9.2.2 update disk rather than the full OS.
> >
> > Yes. The Megamacs.com Web site simply describes the c.d. as "Mac OS
> > 9.2.2 OEM CD" and the c.d. is simply labelled as "Mac OS 9 Install" and
> > "Mac OS Version 9.2.2". Nowhere does it say on the Net site -- or even
> > on the c.d. -- that it's an update disk.
>
> No, but the "OEM" part means it was a CD that came bundled with a Mac,
> not one sold separately, and the ones that came bundled with Macs only
> work on the model they were bundled with. You'd need to buy one listed
> as a full _retail_ version. By the way, there was never a full retail
> version later than 9.2.1.

The Megamacs.com still has the information on it's Net site, that says
that implies that the OS will work on my G4 tower (http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=15010&find_only=&action=view&pid=2699845):

"Note: This is an OEM Disc that is labelled "iMac" on it, but works with
all computers capable of running OS 9.2.2."

Tony
From: Steve Hix on
In article <4533CD87.72745136(a)address.com>,
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner wrote:
> >
> > In article <4532B4AE.BA89E9(a)address.com>,
> > Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
> > > after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
> > > installing X.)
> >
> > No, the Mac documentation does not say that.

I think I see the source of your confusion. (No the documentation
doesn't say that; if your Mac is capable of running OS 9 natively, then
you can choose to start up either in OS X or in OS 9.)

Then there is Classic, which lets you run OS X and OS 9 applications at
the same time, while running OS X.

> It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
> choose Classic once X has started the drive.

Classic is not Mac OS 9. (They share almost all the same code and
resources, but they are not the same.)

Assuming that you have a PowerPC Mac that can run OS X (an intel Mac
won't run OS 9 applications at all, neither natively nor under Classic),
you have three possible states.

- Running Mac OS X alone.

- Selecting Mac OS 9 as the boot OS in the System Preferences "Startup
Disk" pane, then rebooting the machine into OS 9. (Not an option in Macs
made during the past couple of years.) Rebooting the system here will
bring you back to OS 9; you have use the Startup Disk control panel to
select OS X (and reboot) if you want to switch back.

- Running Mac OS X and simultaneously run OS 9 and earlier
applications. This means that you're running the Classic environment
under OS X; think of it as a wrapper around OS 9 that lets it run under
OS X. Some applications, mostly old games and applications that mess
about directly with the Mac's hardware, won't run this way, but most
will.
From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <4533DDCD.C2D63C35(a)address.com>, Tony Winston
<unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> Mike Rosenberg wrote:

> > > It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
> > > choose Classic once X has started the drive.
> >
> > You've misinterpreted it. That's how you run OS 9 apps while booted in
> > OS X. You can still boot up in OS 9 directly should you choose to do
> > so.

> > > Yes. The Megamacs.com Web site simply describes the c.d. as "Mac OS
> > > 9.2.2 OEM CD" and the c.d. is simply labelled as "Mac OS 9 Install" and
> > > "Mac OS Version 9.2.2". Nowhere does it say on the Net site -- or even
> > > on the c.d. -- that it's an update disk.
> >
> > No, but the "OEM" part means it was a CD that came bundled with a Mac,
> > not one sold separately, and the ones that came bundled with Macs only
> > work on the model they were bundled with. You'd need to buy one listed
> > as a full _retail_ version. By the way, there was never a full retail
> > version later than 9.2.1.
>
> The Megamacs.com still has the information on it's Net site, that says
> that implies that the OS will work on my G4 tower
> (http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=15010&find_only=&action=view&pid=269
> 9845):
>
> "Note: This is an OEM Disc that is labelled "iMac" on it, but works with
> all computers capable of running OS 9.2.2."

Well, you've already demonstrated that they are either mistaken or
lying. Have you contacted them for a refund?
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> The Megamacs.com still has the information on it's Net site, that says
> that implies that the OS will work on my G4 tower
>
> "Note: This is an OEM Disc that is labelled "iMac" on it, but works with
> all computers capable of running OS 9.2.2."

They were lying.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts