From: Tony Winston on
Dave Balderstone wrote:

> In article <4533DDCD.C2D63C35(a)address.com>, Tony Winston
> <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike Rosenberg wrote:

> > > You've misinterpreted it. That's how you run OS 9 apps while booted in
> > > OS X. You can still boot up in OS 9 directly should you choose to do
> > > so.

> > > No, but the "OEM" part means it was a CD that came bundled with a Mac,
> > > not one sold separately, and the ones that came bundled with Macs only
> > > work on the model they were bundled with. You'd need to buy one listed
> > > as a full _retail_ version. By the way, there was never a full retail
> > > version later than 9.2.1.
> >
> > The Megamacs.com still has the information on it's Net site, that says
> > that implies that the OS will work on my G4 tower
> > (http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=15010&find_only=&action=view&pid=269
> > 9845):
> >
> > "Note: This is an OEM Disc that is labelled "iMac" on it, but works with
> > all computers capable of running OS 9.2.2."
>
> Well, you've already demonstrated that they are either mistaken or
> lying. Have you contacted them for a refund?

Yes. I emailed. There was no response.

Tony
From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <4535A1ED.E9D91366(a)address.com>, Tony Winston
<unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> > Well, you've already demonstrated that they are either mistaken or
> > lying. Have you contacted them for a refund?
>
> Yes. I emailed. There was no response.

Then I would start the dispute proceedings with your credit card
company.
From: Tony Winston on
Steve Hix wrote:

> Classic is not Mac OS 9. (They share almost all the same code and
> resources, but they are not the same.)

Thanks. I was wondering if they were the same or not.

Tony
From: Tony Winston on
nospam wrote:

> Tony Winston wrote:
>
> > So the 9.22 on my computer is my only remaining working copy and I don't
> > want to mess with it until I've mastered X.
>
> In that situation I think first I would burn a cd with the system folder
> and as much other stuff as I could fit on it (or a DVD if it has a DVD
> burner), then try booting from it to make sure I copied everything right.
>
> Not answering your question here, but I think it might be a good idea.
>
> Andy

Thanks, Andy.

I've tried repeatedly to do that, but I can't burn anything on my DVDs ?
even in X. The options are grayed. I checked the Help section but it was
of no help.

I have a package of Apple 4x blank DVD-Rs. I tried two of them with the
same lack of results.

Tony
From: Steve Hix on
In article <4535A766.4A5DE0BB(a)address.com>,
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> Steve Hix wrote:
>
> > Classic is not Mac OS 9. (They share almost all the same code and
> > resources, but they are not the same.)
>
> Thanks. I was wondering if they were the same or not.
>
> Tony

Again, consider Classic as a "wrapper" that lets the OS 9 parts think
that they're talking to the system without actually being able to muck
about with the actual hardware. The OS 9 System Folder that's used when
you're running Classic (TrueBlueEnvironme) is the same one, using the
same extensions, that is used when booted directly into OS 9.

Otherwise, it would be hard to run OS 9 applications on a Mac that
cannot boot OS 9 directly, which is pretty much all the PPC Macs made
for the last couple of years.