From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <4535AED2.E313BF24(a)address.com>, Tony Winston
<unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> nospam wrote:
> >
> > Tony Winston wrote:
> >
> > > So the 9.22 on my computer is my only remaining working copy and I don't
> > > want to mess with it until I've mastered X.
> >
> > In that situation I think first I would burn a cd with the system folder
> > and as much other stuff as I could fit on it (or a DVD if it has a DVD
> > burner), then try booting from it to make sure I copied everything right.
> >
> > Not answering your question here, but I think it might be a good idea.
> >
> > Andy
>
> Thanks, Andy.
>
> I've tried repeatedly to do that, but I can't burn anything on my DVDs ?
> even in X. The options are grayed. I checked the Help section but it was
> of no help.
>
> I have a package of Apple 4x blank DVD-Rs. I tried two of them with the
> same lack of results.

Do you have a DVD burner in the Mac? Or is it limited to burning CDs
and read-only for DVDs?

If you run System Profiler (in the Utilities folder) it will tell you.
From: Just Another on
In article <4plvf5Fjej0qU1(a)individual.net>,
Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins(a)gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I sternly resist the temptation to get OS 9 stuff of 5 years ago

Why?

I notice there's an "OS 9 Sucks!" contingent here, but I had few
problems with it and in fact made a nice living using it the whole time
it was the "current" OS. I have a PowerPC machine that made the
transition from Sys 7 -> 8 -> OS 9, and runs quite nicely under OS 9.
The software that was terrific back then remains terrific.

Plenty of folks *do* have a compelling reason to upgrade their OS,
usually because they have a business need to run the latest version of
some application; but other folks might be wise simply to run the OS
that their machine came with; that's the one it was designed for, after
all.

I have a "Fat Mac" (this was the 512 Kbyte toaster) that runs Sys 3 on a
whoppin'-big 5 Mbyte hard drive; I'll never forget Andy Hertzog's (sp?)
comments about development of that system; to paraphrase, he thought
that "they were done" and that the system would never need to change. In
retrospect he was wrong, but sometimes it's a pleasure to boot up that
machine, and sure enough, the things it did well then, it still does
well.
From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <nowhere-771441.19023018102006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Just Another <nowhere(a)noplaceville.com> wrote:

> I notice there's an "OS 9 Sucks!" contingent here, but I had few
> problems with it and in fact made a nice living using it the whole time
> it was the "current" OS. I have a PowerPC machine that made the
> transition from Sys 7 -> 8 -> OS 9, and runs quite nicely under OS 9.
> The software that was terrific back then remains terrific.

Ayup.

I still have a Mac at work that runs a Harlequin RIP on OS 8.1. It
processes the classified display ads for our large weekly newspaper.

The annual revenue that runs through that old box is well into seven
figures.
From: Jon on
Dave Balderstone <dave(a)N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> The annual revenue that runs through that old box is well into seven
> figures.

Well worth a backup in the closet, then, I hope...?
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Dave Balderstone <dave(a)N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> I still have a Mac at work that runs a Harlequin RIP on OS 8.1. It
> processes the classified display ads for our large weekly newspaper.

One of my clients has an old plotter, run from a... hmmm, it's been so
long I can't even remember what we call the slot type that Apple used
prior to PCI... Anyway, this client has an old plotter connected via
one of those cards on a Power Mac 7300 still running Mac OS 7.5.5, and,
yes, it's been determined that this is the latest Mac OS version they
can use. You betcha they have a couple of spare Macs stored away just
in case.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts