From: Jamie Kahn Genet on
It's OS X or OSX or anything without the excessive full stops.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet (who is in a pedantic frame of mind today ;-) ).
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <151020061627064941%dave(a)N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
Dave Balderstone <dave(a)N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <tomstiller-10F7F4.17573715102006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> Tom Stiller <tomstiller(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <michelle-3FD70B.14103415102006(a)news.west.cox.net>,
> > Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > Sure you would; all you would need to do is use Startup Disk to decide
> > > which OS should be the default to startup with. To override that, press
> > > the option key when starting the computer, and then choose which OS to
> > > start up with.
> >
> > The Option key won't allow you to select between two startup partitions
> > on the internal disk; you have to use the Startup Disk
> > System?Preference/Control Panel for that.
>
> Yes, it will. If the drive is partitioned with OS X on one and OS 9 on
> the other, the option key at startup will work fine.
>
> It will not allow you to select between OS's installed on the same
> partition, which I suspect is what you meant to write.

Yes, that's what I meant to say.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Andreas Rutishauser on
In article <michelle-406928.15292615102006(a)news.west.cox.net>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <tomstiller-10F7F4.17573715102006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> Tom Stiller <tomstiller(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > Sure you would; all you would need to do is use Startup Disk to
> > > decide which OS should be the default to startup with. To override
> > > that, press the option key when starting the computer, and then
> > > choose which OS to start up with.
> >
> > The Option key won't allow you to select between two startup
> > partitions on the internal disk; you have to use the Startup Disk
> > System?Preference/Control Panel for that.

sorry, not true. The Option key at Startup will show you every bootable
partition.

> Are you sure? I'm sure that back when I had a G3 and then a G4 iMac,
> the option key would let me choose between OS 9 and OS X to startup
> with. I had them both on the same partition.

Sorry, not true. The Option key at Startup will show you only the OS X
of a partition.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
From: Jon on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <1hn9iza.9y56bbha2nl7N%mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
> mikePOST(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
>
> > > Are you sure? I'm sure that back when I had a G3 and then a G4
> > > iMac, the option key would let me choose between OS 9 and OS X to
> > > startup with. I had them both on the same partition.
> >
> > I'm sure. Your memory is playing tricks with you, but of course you
> > know memory is the second thing to go.
>
> What's the first thing to go?

No, I think what he's hinting at actually is one of the last things to
go as it is based on a spinal cord reflex, not on higher cerebral
functions.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <andreas-D1FB8D.06540216102006(a)individual.de>,
Andreas Rutishauser <andreas(a)macandreas.ch> wrote:

> In article <michelle-406928.15292615102006(a)news.west.cox.net>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > The Option key won't allow you to select between two startup
> > > partitions on the internal disk; you have to use the Startup Disk
> > > System?Preference/Control Panel for that.
>
> sorry, not true. The Option key at Startup will show you every bootable
> partition.
> >
> > Are you sure? I'm sure that back when I had a G3 and then a G4 iMac,
> > the option key would let me choose between OS 9 and OS X to startup
> > with. I had them both on the same partition.
>
> Sorry, not true. The Option key at Startup will show you only the OS X
> of a partition.

Sorry, not true. The Option key at startup will show whatever OS has
been selected by Startup Disk for that partition. It will also show
non-Mac OSs (e.g. Linux).