From: matt neuburg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> matt neuburg wrote:
> >
> > Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.
> > >
> > > I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
> > > now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
> > > drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.
> >
> > If there's room, install X onto your internal drive instead.
>
> I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and I
> would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.

You didn't read what I wrote (and you didn't quote it fully either).
Okay, I'm outta here. Some people would rather whine than be helped. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt(a)tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html
From: Mike Rosenberg on
matt neuburg <matt(a)tidbits.com> wrote:

> You didn't read what I wrote (and you didn't quote it fully either).
> Okay, I'm outta here. Some people would rather whine than be helped.

In all fairness, yes, you did say "X and 9 can coexist completely,
without partitioning or anything," but it's possible he misinterpreted
that, perhaps believing you meant you can use OS 9 as Classic that way.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <michelle-3FD70B.14103415102006(a)news.west.cox.net>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <4532A0B1.BE2B9C6(a)address.com>,
> Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
>
> > > If there's room, install X onto your internal drive instead.
> >
> > I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and
> > I would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.
>
> Sure you would; all you would need to do is use Startup Disk to decide
> which OS should be the default to startup with. To override that, press
> the option key when starting the computer, and then choose which OS to
> start up with.

The Option key won't allow you to select between two startup partitions
on the internal disk; you have to use the Startup Disk
System?Preference/Control Panel for that.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Tony Winston on
Mike Rosenberg wrote:

> matt neuburg <matt(a)tidbits.com> wrote:
>
> > You didn't read what I wrote

I did read what you wrote but I disagree. After having installed O.S.X.
onto both of my external drives, I can no longer restart from from an
external drive under 9.22. It will only start under X.48 and then I have
to open Classic. That's been the case for months now.

I've tried it multiple times and I just tried it again and it didn't
work; instead, the computer started from the hard disk.

The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
installing X.)

Both of my 9.22s appear as startup options under System Preferences >
Startup Disk, but neither one works on the external drives.

That was why I bought O.S.X.

And I can't reinstall 9.22 to make it work as a start disk because my
original 9.0 disk won't work anymore and the replacement 9 disk I
imported from the States several months ago to replace it won't work
either because I didn't realize when I bought it that it contains 9.22
(even though it was advertised on the Net and the c.d. is labelled as
"Mac OS 9 Install) and that it won't install unless you can first
reinstall 9.0 ? and my 9.0 disk is kaput, as I explained.

So the 9.22 on my computer is my only remaining working copy and I don't
want to mess with it until I've mastered X.

> (and you didn't quote it fully either).

I purposely cut extraneous text so that people wouldn't complain about
extraneous text.

> > Okay, I'm outta here. Some people would rather whine than be helped.

I wasn't whining. Some people (you) would rather make hasty, false
assumptions than reasoned ones.

> In all fairness, yes, you did say "X and 9 can coexist completely,
> without partitioning or anything," but it's possible he misinterpreted
> that, perhaps believing you meant you can use OS 9 as Classic that way.

Tony
From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <tomstiller-10F7F4.17573715102006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Tom Stiller <tomstiller(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <michelle-3FD70B.14103415102006(a)news.west.cox.net>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and
> > > I would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.
> >
> > Sure you would; all you would need to do is use Startup Disk to decide
> > which OS should be the default to startup with. To override that, press
> > the option key when starting the computer, and then choose which OS to
> > start up with.
>
> The Option key won't allow you to select between two startup partitions
> on the internal disk; you have to use the Startup Disk
> System?Preference/Control Panel for that.

Yes, it will. If the drive is partitioned with OS X on one and OS 9 on
the other, the option key at startup will work fine.

It will not allow you to select between OS's installed on the same
partition, which I suspect is what you meant to write.