From: Tony Winston on
I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.

I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.

When I try to start from the external drives, the still Apple logo
appears on a gray background and nothing else happens -- even after five
minutes of waiting -- forcing me to pull the plug out of the surge
protector and to shut off the external drive that I was trying to start from.

Why is this happening and how can I solve it?

I hope this behaviour isn't exemplary of the reliability of O.S.X.

Tony
From: matt neuburg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.
>
> I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
> now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
> drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.

If there's room, install X onto your internal drive instead. (X and 9
can coexist completely, without partitioning or anything.) Some external
drives can't be used to boot X from, or do it only unreliably, so let's
eliminate the external drives from the equation. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt(a)tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html
From: Jon on
Tim McNamara <timmcn(a)bitstream.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that you can't boot OS X from an external USB drive.

On present-day Macs you can. At least Intel Macs and I believe recent
G5s, possibly other models. But the OP's G4 certainly cannot boot from
USB. SO the point is valid as far as he is concerned.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_Ekl=F6f?= on
Jon <see_signature(a)mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn(a)bitstream.net> wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that you can't boot OS X from an external USB drive.
>
> On present-day Macs you can. At least Intel Macs and I believe recent
> G5s, possibly other models. But the OP's G4 certainly cannot boot from
> USB. SO the point is valid as far as he is concerned.

Is it ?
1. OP never said the drive are USB.
2. OP states he has been able to boot from each drive.
Thus I take for granted they are FireWire drives.

And to Tim:
My G4 at work arrived in June 2001 with Mac OS 9.1 only installed.
10.0.3 came on a CD. And that was not even a first generation G4.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Tim McNamara <timmcn(a)bitstream.net> wrote:

> OS X is, I think, the default on all G4 Macs and Macs
> introduced after 1/1/03 aren't supposed to be able to boot from OS 9
> IIRC.

He never said which G4 he has, but it's clearly one that boots from OS
9.

> From the technical perspective- are the external drives FireWire or USB?
> My understanding is that you can't boot OS X from an external USB drive.
> There are issues with the chipset used in FireWire drives and their
> suitability for booting, resulting in some FW drives not being bootable.

The thing is, he _was_ booting from OS X previously, so he must be using
compatible FireWire drives. I think you may be onto something in
suspecting a hardware or OS 9 issue, though, because the odds of
developing software problems on two drives simultaneously are very low.

I would first try booting up while pressing the Option key and selecting
one of the external drives from the choice that appears. If that fails,
I would then try having only one external drive, and no other FW
peripherals, connected at a time and see if the G4 will boot from at
least one of them that way.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts