From: Tony Winston on
Mike Rosenberg wrote:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn(a)bitstream.net> wrote:
>
> > OS X is, I think, the default on all G4 Macs and Macs
> > introduced after 1/1/03 aren't supposed to be able to boot from OS 9
> > IIRC.
>
> He never said which G4 he has, but it's clearly one that boots from OS
> 9.

It's a tower.

Tony
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> > He never said which G4 he has, but it's clearly one that boots from OS
> > 9.
>
> It's a tower.

Everything called just a G4 (as opposed to an iMac G4, iBook G4 or
PowerBook G4) is a tower, but Apple had models of G4 towers with three
different case designs, with several configurations and release dates
for each. None of this is important in addressing your problem, though.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
From: Tony Winston on
matt neuburg wrote:

> Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
>
> > I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.
> >
> > I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
> > now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
> > drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.
>
> If there's room, install X onto your internal drive instead.

I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and I
would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.

Tony
From: Tony Winston on
"J.J. O'Shea" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:40:29 -0400, Tony Winston wrote
> (in article <45323A68.FFC9E8D7(a)address.com>):
>
> > I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.
>
> what size, what type, and how old are these drives? LaCie D2 drives are
> _much_ more reliable than Porsche Design drives, but they still die. I just
> had a 3 or 4 year old 200GB D2 go titsup on me.

They're La Cie drives designed by Porsche.

> > I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
> > now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
> > drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.
>
> Can you access the drives from OS 9's Finder?

Usually. But sometimes when I restart from the hard disk the icons of
the La Cie drives are missing, so then I have to switch the drives off
and then on to get the icons to appear again.

If so, did you do _anything_ to
> the drives from the Finder, or using an OS 9 disk utility, _especially_ any
> version of Norton Utilties?

No; I haven't used Norton Utilities for years.

> > When I try to start from the external drives, the still Apple logo
> > appears on a gray background and nothing else happens -- even after five
> > minutes of waiting -- forcing me to pull the plug out of the surge
> > protector and to shut off the external drive that I was trying to start from.
>
> Have you tried using verbose startup (command-v) to see what's happening (or
> not happening)? Have you started from the OS X install CD and run Disk
> Utility?

I'll try. Thanks.

Tony

From: Mike Rosenberg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and I
> would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.

It may be scary, but it's not true. As long as you're using a Mac
that's capable of booting in OS 9, and you are, you can still do so
after installing OS X on the same drive. You would use the Startup Disk
control panel or Preference Pane to switch between them, just as you do
now.