From: Mike Rosenberg on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > I'm sure. Your memory is playing tricks with you, but of course you
> > know memory is the second thing to go.
>
> What's the first thing to go?

I forgot.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg(a)wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> It's OS X or OSX or anything without the excessive full stops.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet (who is in a pedantic frame of mind today ;-) ).

We've been down this same path with him several times before.

From: Mike Rosenberg on
Jon <see_signature(a)mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> No, I think what he's hinting at actually is one of the last things to
> go as it is based on a spinal cord reflex, not on higher cerebral
> functions.

No, I wasn't hinting at that at all.

From: Tony Winston on
Michelle Steiner wrote:

> In article <4532B4AE.BA89E9(a)address.com>,
> Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
>
> > The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
> > after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
> > installing X.)
>
> No, the Mac documentation does not say that.

It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
choose Classic once X has started the drive.

> > Both of my 9.22s appear as startup options under System Preferences >
> > Startup Disk, but neither one works on the external drives.
>
> Did your computer ever startup from either of those specific external
> disks under Mac OS 9.2.2?

Yes, I think so. Months ago.

> > And I can't reinstall 9.22 to make it work as a start disk because my
> > original 9.0 disk won't work anymore and the replacement 9 disk I
> > imported from the States several months ago to replace it won't work
> > either because I didn't realize when I bought it that it contains
> > 9.22 (even though it was advertised on the Net and the c.d. is
> > labelled as "Mac OS 9 Install) and that it won't install unless you
> > can first reinstall 9.0 ? and my 9.0 disk is kaput, as I explained.
>
> In other words, you got an 9.2.2 update disk rather than the full OS.

Yes. The Megamacs.com Web site simply describes the c.d. as "Mac OS
9.2.2 OEM CD" and the c.d. is simply labelled as "Mac OS 9 Install" and
"Mac OS Version 9.2.2". Nowhere does it say on the Net site -- or even
on the c.d. -- that it's an update disk.

My installation attempts failed. I can't remember the error messages now.

Tony
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> > No, the Mac documentation does not say that.
>
> It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
> choose Classic once X has started the drive.

You've misinterpreted it. That's how you run OS 9 apps while booted in
OS X. You can still boot up in OS 9 directly should you choose to do
so.

> > In other words, you got an 9.2.2 update disk rather than the full OS.
>
> Yes. The Megamacs.com Web site simply describes the c.d. as "Mac OS
> 9.2.2 OEM CD" and the c.d. is simply labelled as "Mac OS 9 Install" and
> "Mac OS Version 9.2.2". Nowhere does it say on the Net site -- or even
> on the c.d. -- that it's an update disk.

No, but the "OEM" part means it was a CD that came bundled with a Mac,
not one sold separately, and the ones that came bundled with Macs only
work on the model they were bundled with. You'd need to buy one listed
as a full _retail_ version. By the way, there was never a full retail
version later than 9.2.1.