From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <4532B4AE.BA89E9(a)address.com>, Tony Winston
<unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
> after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
> installing X.)

Where does it say that? Direct citation, please, because that's simply
not true and I don't believe any Mac documentation says it.

If there is actual Mac documentation that says it, that documentation
is simply wrong.
From: Tony Winston on
"J.J. O'Shea" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:40:29 -0400, Tony Winston wrote
> (in article <45323A68.FFC9E8D7(a)address.com>):
> >
> > When I try to start from the external drives, the still Apple logo
> > appears on a gray background and nothing else happens -- even after five
> > minutes of waiting -- forcing me to pull the plug out of the surge
> > protector and to shut off the external drive that I was trying to start from.
>
> Have you started from the OS X install CD and run Disk
> Utility?
>

> > Why is this happening and how can I solve it?
>
> There could be several reasons.
>
> 1 disk directory corruption. Disk Utility's 'Repair' facility will sometimes
> fix that. You might need heavy artillery: Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, Tech
> Tool Pro, something like that. Not Norton anything under any circumstances.
>
> 2 permissions problems. Disk Utility's 'Permissions' facility will fix that.
>
> 5 OS 9's Startup Disk might be flakey. Try booting up holding down the option
> key. On a G4 you should get a blue screen which will have icons of the
> bootable volumes. Click on one of the OS X volumes and see if it boots.

That worked!

I was able to start from one of the external drives by holding down the
Option key, and then when the drive started I used Disk Utility's
"Verify Permissions". It reported seveal conflicts, so I ran "Repair
Permissions" and after that i was able to start from that external drive
without holding down the Option key first.

Thanks, J.J.

Tony
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> I did read what you wrote but I disagree. After having installed O.S.X.
> onto both of my external drives, I can no longer restart from from an
> external drive under 9.22. It will only start under X.48 and then I have
> to open Classic. That's been the case for months now.

That means you've had technical problems for months now. What you've
experienced is an exception, not the rule. One can normally have both
OS 9 and OS X installed on the same hard drive, whether it's internal or
external, and freely boot from either system on any drive.

> The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
> after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
> installing X.)

No, the documentation doesn't say that, as it's not true. A Mac that
can boot from OS 9 can continue to do so after OS X is installed, on any
partition on any drive, unless you have technical problems unique to
your computer.

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts
From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <michelle-406928.15292615102006(a)news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> Are you sure? I'm sure that back when I had a G3 and then a G4 iMac,
> the option key would let me choose between OS 9 and OS X to startup
> with. I had them both on the same partition.

They have to be on separate partitions for the option option to work.
From: Mike Rosenberg on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> Are you sure? I'm sure that back when I had a G3 and then a G4 iMac,
> the option key would let me choose between OS 9 and OS X to startup
> with. I had them both on the same partition.

I'm sure. Your memory is playing tricks with you, but of course you
know memory is the second thing to go.