From: Gregory Weston on
In article <tomstiller-10F7F4.17573715102006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Tom Stiller <tomstiller(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <michelle-3FD70B.14103415102006(a)news.west.cox.net>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and
> > > I would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.
> >
> > Sure you would; all you would need to do is use Startup Disk to decide
> > which OS should be the default to startup with. To override that, press
> > the option key when starting the computer, and then choose which OS to
> > start up with.
>
> The Option key won't allow you to select between two startup partitions
> on the internal disk; you have to use the Startup Disk
> System?Preference/Control Panel for that.

At least for a while - I don't know if it's still true - a machine that
was configure to boot into OS X would boot to a 9 install on the same
partition if you held down '9'. I think the reverse was true for the 'x'
key as well.

--
What I write is what I mean. I request that anyone who decides to respond
please refrain from "disagreeing" with something I didn't write in the first
From: Gregory Weston on
In article <4533CD87.72745136(a)address.com>,
Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner wrote:
> >
> > In article <4532B4AE.BA89E9(a)address.com>,
> > Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The Mac documentation even says that one can no longer start from 9
> > > after installing X. (I think it's the documentation that appears when
> > > installing X.)
> >
> > No, the Mac documentation does not say that.
>
> It does. I just read it yesterday. You have to start in X first and then
> choose Classic once X has started the drive.

It does _not_. Read again, more carefully.

From: Beth on
Ditto on OS 9.1. I got my G3 about the same time as you and the only
system on it was OS 9.1. I have the OSX in the box still.

From: nospam on
Tony Winston wrote:
> matt neuburg wrote:
>> Tony Winston <unreal(a)address.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed O.S. X.46 onto two external La Cie drives a few months ago.
>>>
>>> I was able to start my desktop G4 several times using each drive, but
>>> now neither drive will start the computer after I choose the respective
>>> drives to be the start drives in my G4's O.S. 9.22 Startup control panel.
>> If there's room, install X onto your internal drive instead.
>
> I don't want to do that yet because I'm just starting to learn X, and I
> would no longer be able to start from 9, which is a scary prospect.
>
> Tony

When I first migrated was with a new G4 iMac. At first I was very pissed
off that apple had seen fit to deprive me of the option to boot into OS
9, but really it was no problem. Everything OS 9 worked in classic and
the system wasn't too far from what I was familiar with. Really, don't
worry about it. That was at a time when OS X was still pretty unstable
in some departments, now it should be even easier.

Andy
From: nospam on
Tony Winston wrote:

> So the 9.22 on my computer is my only remaining working copy and I don't
> want to mess with it until I've mastered X.

In that situation I think first I would burn a cd with the system folder
and as much other stuff as I could fit on it (or a DVD if it has a DVD
burner), then try booting from it to make sure I copied everything right.

Not answering your question here, but I think it might be a good idea.

Andy