From: Bill Graham on

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 9/19/09 7:53 PM, in article
> DJmdnavrobi84CjXnZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Bill Graham"
> <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> "George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> This is utter BS. All of my income is, "long term capitol gains" and I
>> pay
>> my taxes from the same tax tables that you do.....I am retired and living
>> off my 401K.....
>>
> Uhhh, that's FishHeadRot's work, not mine, Bill.

I knew that, (I think)......:^)

From: Ray Fischer on
Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net> wrote in message
>>
>> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> Sales tax, and the horribly misnamed "FairTax" are the most regressive
>>> because lower income people spend a far greater portion of their income
>>> on taxable goods than rich people.
>>>
>> Then *all* taxes are regressive as the lower income group has less in
>> their pocket after the taxes then the higher income group.
>>
>How about just charging people for the government services they use? If the
>Army doesn't fight harder for Bill Gates than it does for anyone else, then
>they shouldn't charge him any more than anyone else.....How about them
>apples?

There's an idea only a fanatical lover of bureaucracy could want.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"Miles Bader" <miles(a)gnu.org> wrote in message
>> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) writes:
>>> The very welathy can actually pay a LOWER tax rate because their
>>> income is not always in the form of salaries.
>>
>> Ah.. that must be why the repubs are forever trying to get rid of
>> capital gains taxes...
>>
>> -Miles
>>
>Yes.....We republicans believe in investing our money for our futures,

Which is why republicans screech in outrage whenever anybody proposes
investing in the future. More money for infrastructure? Hell no!
Money for education? Screw the kids! Invest in people's health? Not
if it means a loss of profits for multi-billion dollar corporations.

> and
>capitol gains taxes are just having to give some of its growth back to the
>government, so they discourage saving, which is criminal, to me.

Rightard criminals don't believe in paying for what they get. They
prefer to steal instead.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>>>The very welathy can actually pay a LOWER tax rate because their
>>>income is not always in the form of salaries.
>>
>Does the high income earner need the soldier to shoot more bullets for him
>in battle than the low income earner?

Yes.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Bill Graham on

> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> Sales tax, and the horribly misnamed "FairTax" are the most regressive
>>> because lower income people spend a far greater portion of their income
>>> on taxable goods than rich people.
>>>
>>> For a national retail tax to generate the same amount of money as the
>>> current income tax it would need to be set at about 25%, and that
>>> assumes that consumption (legal consumption) remains at the current
>>> levels, which it won't.
>>>
>>> Sales taxes are bad from another perspective, they encourage tax
>>> evasion, as occurs now with many on-line sales, and hurts local
>>> businesses. Also you can't deduct sales tax from income tax so a state
>>> like Oregon with an income tax high property taxes but no sales tax
>>> sends less tax money to the federal government than California with a
>>> high sales tax but relatively low property tax.
>>
>> I agree with all of the above. We have no sales taxes here in Oregon, and
>> I campaign to keep it that way all the time. In California they were 8%
>> and it was a royal PITA, as well as being very expensive to purchase any
>> big ticket items such as an automobile.....I purchases all my cars and
>> motorcycles up here in Oregon. In California, they even were charging the
>> sales tax on some foods......All, "fast foods| had to pay the tax.
>
> Hmm, did Glenn tell you this too?

Whose Glenn?

> All hot foods are charged sales tax whether take out or eat-in. All cold
> foods consumed in the restaurant are charged tax.
>
> To-go cold food is not charged tax if the restaurant is doing things
> properly. A cold sandwich from Subway is tax free, and most Subway's
> properly do this, though some intentionally collect sales tax incorrectly
> and presumably pocket the money. If you get ice cream or frozen yogurt
> they will ask if it's to eat-in or to-go and charge tax accordingly.
>
> Too many businesses incorrectly charge sales tax, i.e. the Costco snack
> bar charges tax on everything, even though technically salads to go and
> frozen yogurt and ice-cream to go are not taxable.

Did I say anything different? - but thanks for the details.....The point is
that sales taxes represent double taxation.....I have already been taxed on
this money. Twice.....(at least) first by the federal government, and then
by the state. then the county charges me property taxes on my house, and in
California, on my vehicles. Then, when I take what little money I have left
to the store, the state taxes me again on it with sales taxes. I don't think
there were any such thing when the constitution was written, but I doubt
whether its writers would have condoned this kind of multiple taxation, so I
would call it "Unconstitutional" on the face of it....If it isn't, then it
should be. What business of the government is it whether I eat my food hot
or cold, and/or inside their building or outside in my car? Does their
police and/or fire department work any harder for those that eat cold or hot
foods inside or outside? And, if not, then WHAT THE HELL BUSINESS IS IT
OF THE GOVERNMENT? (state, local, or federal)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Prev: Pittsburgh
Next: Incompatible jpeg?