From: Bill Graham on

<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h936au$lcl$2(a)news.albasani.net...
> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Well I was pissed watching GWB spending BILLIONS on a war while giving
>>> MASSIVE tax breaks to the wealthy. I was pissed watching him do NOTHING
>>> other than watching the economy fail. Were you? Some of us didn't just
>>> "wake up" because a republican wasn't in the white house. If Obama had
>>> been handed a healthy country and done this, I'd be pissed right there
>>> with ya, but that isn't what happened.
>>>
>>> Stephanie
>> I still don't understand about these, "massive tax cuts to the wealthy".
>

> One example, check out the inheritance tax laws Bush put in place..
>
>> the last time I checked, the more money you make, the greater percentage
>> you have to pay, .....that's what the tax tables in the form 1040 tell
>> me.....
>
> Talking about OTHER taxes, loopholes opened up for the wealthy and the
> owners/CEO etc of big business. People whos income if "off the chart" of
> those tables that you refer too. They didn't help anyone whos income
> figures are on some tax table.
>
> Stephanie

One of the chief, "loopholes" is to simply register your business in some
other country, and I haven't got the faintest idea what the hell the US
government can do about that. Any more than they can keep people like
Elizabeth Taylor from living in Ireland, where artists income taxes are
zero. There are always people who will figure out some way to cheat the
system, especially if you make them mad enough.....The California state
government made me mad, and I really got back at them for about ten years
before I retired.....

From: Bill Graham on

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 9/19/09 12:42 PM, in article 4ab5180c$0$1630$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net,
> "Ray Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I still don't understand about these, "massive tax cuts to the wealthy".
>>> the
>>> last time I checked, the more money you make, the greater percentage you
>>> have to pay, .....that's what the tax tables in the form 1040 tell
>>> me.....
>>
>> That's the sort of ignorant thinking that gets rightards into trouble.
>>
>> There are many ways the wealthy get to pay lower taxes. Her's one:
>> Long-term capital gains and dividens aren't taxed as regular income.
>> It's a flat 15% even before you find any deductions. So, if you own a
>> ton of stock that pays you $250/yr in dividends then you pay no more
>> than 15% of that as income tax. If you are given $100,000,000 in
>> stock by the company and you sell it a year later, you pay 15%.

This is utter BS. All of my income is, "long term capitol gains" and I pay
my taxes from the same tax tables that you do.....I am retired and living
off my 401K.....

From: Bill Graham on

"mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net> wrote in message

> "Ray Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
>> Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>><stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>I still don't understand about these, "massive tax cuts to the wealthy".
>>>the
>>>last time I checked, the more money you make, the greater percentage you
>>>have to pay, .....that's what the tax tables in the form 1040 tell
>>>me.....
>>
>> That's the sort of ignorant thinking that gets rightards into trouble.
>>
>> There are many ways the wealthy get to pay lower taxes. Her's one:
>> Long-term capital gains and dividens aren't taxed as regular income.
>> It's a flat 15% even before you find any deductions. So, if you own a
>> ton of stock that pays you $250/yr in dividends then you pay no more
>> than 15% of that as income tax. If you are given $100,000,000 in
>> stock by the company and you sell it a year later, you pay 15%.

No. You will have to pay the maximum, which is 35% right now, I
believe.....Any gift over around $10,000 is taxable, and such a large gift
would incur the maximum rate.....I can only give each of my kids 10 grand a
year tax free....

From: Bill Graham on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:57:03 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut
> <Speleo_Karstlenscap(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>tony cooper wrote:

>>> Countries like, say, Scotland?
>>>
>>> "A United Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent
>>> country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to
>>> be assaulted than in America.
>>>
>>> England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent
>>> assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest." (2005)
>>>

>>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article568214.ece
>>>

>>I've never held the UK up as an example, as in many ways it
>>follows/emulates the US...
>>That is unfortunately (Yob culture) why I would have serious
>>reservations about living there.
>>But I have similar or worse reservations about living in the U.S. (apart
>>from a very few places).
>>
>>In most (the vast majority) of Europe, volent crime rates are a fraction
>>of the U.S. (and U.K.) ones.
>
> You're back-pedaling. You made the point that countries where private
> ownership of guns is not allowed being safer. The UK is a country
> where gun ownership is largely curtailed. Yet, violent crime is
> rampant in the UK.

Do the houses in any of these gunless countries have any valuables in
them? - Maybe I'll come out of retirement.....

From: Bill Graham on

"Rol_Lei Nut" <Speleo_Karstlenscap(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:57:03 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut
>> <Speleo_Karstlenscap(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I've never held the UK up as an example, as in many ways it
>>> follows/emulates the US...
>>> That is unfortunately (Yob culture) why I would have serious
>>> reservations about living there.
>>> But I have similar or worse reservations about living in the U.S. (apart
>>> from a very few places).
>>> In most (the vast majority) of Europe, volent crime rates are a fraction
>>> of the U.S. (and U.K.) ones.
>>
>> You're back-pedaling. You made the point that countries where private
>> ownership of guns is not allowed being safer. The UK is a country
>> where gun ownership is largely curtailed. Yet, violent crime is
>> rampant in the UK.
>>

> Your post does mention "assaulted", not shot dead.
> Not that assaulted is very good either...

Yeah.....If you are assaulted in GB, you end up in the hospital, and their
gun death statistics come out smelling like a rose. But if you are assaulted
here in the US, you might blow the assaulter away, and the rest of the world
will look at the gun death statistics and say, "What a violent place that US
is...."

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Prev: Pittsburgh
Next: Incompatible jpeg?