From: David Kaye on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>You don't deal with people who question your rate?

That's correct. If I detect hesitation I tell them thanks anyway, but I'm not
interested. I charge good money for good service. I give a 60 day guarantee
on my work. I give free phone support (within reason) after the job. I
refuse to bargain with people.

It's not ego at play here, either. It's experience. People who hesitate
about the price will never be happy. They'll watch the clock. They'll ask if
what I'm doing is really necessary. They'll hover, they'll question
everything. And their checks bounce.

Or ask any restauranteur who's done the 2-for-1 coupons. They bring in the
bottom feeders. People who shop for price give you 90% of the headaches.

I've had my current "take a hike" policy for about 7 of the past 9 years.
Since then I've had only one check bounce out of a couple thousand, and the
guy apologized and paid me back within a couple days. On those rare occasions
when I bill out (net 30) I usally get paid within 15 days.

I learned this when I was in the telephone call center (answering service)
business years ago. I hired only the best telephone operators and charged
nearly double what our competitors charged. My company was called Pacific
Answering and it was legendary in San Francisco. It served as the basis for
Proxy Message Centers, a national call center company that was backed by
Federal Express.

Anyhow, we violated every rule in the books about answering services. First,
we wouldn't sign up doctors. Doctors are the bread and butter of answering
services. But I found them difficult to work with, they didn't pay their
bills on time, they dicked me about prices, and they bitched about everything.
I hired only the best employees and didn't want to subject them to bad
customers.

Besides being legendary for our high prices and our refusal to put doctors on
the service, we were legendary for our service. We would do anything within
our power to get the message to the client. If we'd gotten wong info from a
caller, such as a wrong callback number, we'd go to extreme lengths to make it
right, and it was policy that if we mangled the message badly we'd give an
entire month of service free. And anybody in the company was authorized to do
this.

And, no, I wouldn't fire someone if they messed up. I realized they were
trying to do their best. Yeah, once in awhile we ate it with our guarantee,
but people loved us so much that they'd often refuse to accept the free month!

Thus, Pacific Answering had customers such as CBS, Wells Fargo, Bank of
America, Eller Outdoor Advertising, TV Guide, etc.

Well, that same standard of excellence I used in building Pacific is what I
apply to my current business. And the first order of business is that I send
the bottom feeders elsewhere.

From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Uhh, No. Not if you use the hospital grade stuff; 91% pure alcohol.
>
> Most people are not going to use 91+ iso. They're going to use the
> cheap stuff from Safeway.

Anyone who understands the value of a good cleaning should be using the
good stuff. If they don't, they need to be in another line of work.
Electronics/optics in general isn't for them.

>>Good
>>for optics and electronics; as it leaves no residue and doesn't
>>"corrode" components. Your facts are very much in error, sir. :)
>
> I NEVER said anything about "corroding" anything. Why do you continue
> to quote me as saying things I've never said?

I didn't say you did claim it would corrode anything, David. I didn't infer
the quote to you either; I was quoting it for a point, actually. But the
idea that the proper grade iso isn't suitable for electronics cleaning is
most certainly an error on your part.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>

| sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

>> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Uhh, No. Not if you use the hospital grade stuff; 91% pure alcohol.

>> Most people are not going to use 91+ iso. They're going to use the
>> cheap stuff from Safeway.

| Anyone who understands the value of a good cleaning should be using the
| good stuff. If they don't, they need to be in another line of work.
| Electronics/optics in general isn't for them.

>>>Good
>>>for optics and electronics; as it leaves no residue and doesn't
>>>"corrode" components. Your facts are very much in error, sir. :)

>> I NEVER said anything about "corroding" anything. Why do you continue
>> to quote me as saying things I've never said?

| I didn't say you did claim it would corrode anything, David. I didn't infer
| the quote to you either; I was quoting it for a point, actually. But the
| idea that the proper grade iso isn't suitable for electronics cleaning is
| most certainly an error on your part.

+1

--
Dave

From: Dustin Cook on

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You don't deal with people who question your rate?
>
> That's correct. If I detect hesitation I tell them thanks anyway, but
> I'm not interested. I charge good money for good service. I give a
> 60 day guarantee on my work. I give free phone support (within
> reason) after the job. I refuse to bargain with people.

Sounds fair enough.

> It's not ego at play here, either. It's experience. People who
> hesitate about the price will never be happy. They'll watch the
> clock. They'll ask if what I'm doing is really necessary. They'll
> hover, they'll question everything. And their checks bounce.

Very true in most cases, from the experiences I've had as well.

> Or ask any restauranteur who's done the 2-for-1 coupons. They bring
> in the bottom feeders. People who shop for price give you 90% of the
> headaches.

I would have to agree there too.

> I've had my current "take a hike" policy for about 7 of the past 9
> years. Since then I've had only one check bounce out of a couple
> thousand, and the guy apologized and paid me back within a couple
> days. On those rare occasions when I bill out (net 30) I usally get
> paid within 15 days.

Makes sense.

> I learned this when I was in the telephone call center (answering
> service) business years ago. I hired only the best telephone
> operators and charged nearly double what our competitors charged. My
> company was called Pacific Answering and it was legendary in San
> Francisco. It served as the basis for Proxy Message Centers, a
> national call center company that was backed by Federal Express.

Wow. Are you taking business ideas from gmc or something? /joking.

> Well, that same standard of excellence I used in building Pacific is
> what I apply to my current business. And the first order of business
> is that I send the bottom feeders elsewhere.

Sounds like a sound business model of sorts...

From: David Kaye on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Sounds like a sound business model of sorts...

However, I'm in a quandary. I can either keep what I'm doing, or I can
expand. I happen to love doing tech support, but if I expanded I'd become a
manager. While I have no problem managing people (at at my height had 39
employees) it would take me away from doing tech. I'm basically in the same
boat as David Filo from Yahoo. He prefers to do tech than run a company.

However, I do have capital available should I wish to become the next Geek
Squad. So, it's tempting.