From: Leythos on
In article <hsb2bg$ug3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Who said anything about spitting? Your hot air, no pun intended contains a
> >large amount of moisture.
>
> As if a couple puffs of breath into an already hot vent hole is going to wreck
> anything. Whatever moisture is in the breath will evaporate quickly.
>
> You folks simply don't like what I said because it's not politically correct.
> It's a simple, handy fix, inelegant as all get-out, but still a simply, handy
> fix.

HA HA HA - there is nothing NOT PC about your method, it just doesn't
work well in most cases. Sure, if all you have is loose dust bunnies,
but when you take a look at a computer that's sat on a carpeted floor in
a home where the owner doesn't vac for weeks at a time, has two pets,
etc... You can't get enough pressure to blow out enough dust, at least
not with the common mouth - but you seem to have more pressure than most
of us :-)

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <hsb2n7$34j$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...
> Another stupid statement. I said nothing about "oiling" anything. I said a
> short "spritz" onto a feather duster, enough to cause the dust to stick to it
> as I make a quick sweep of the case, the back vent of the power supply, the
> area under the HD bay, etc.

If the duster comes in contact with ANYTHING, as it must to remove dust,
the oil coating will transfer to the items it makes contact with.

Trust yourself.
From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Oil is very bad directly on electronics man.. Corrosive as hell for
>> them.
>
> Not to mention a good source of static generation; as oil will let the
> dust
> particles attach to everything powered up.. :( Electronics tend to
> generate
> a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them. Oiling them is
> only
> going to ensure the dust sticks and builds up a nasty film; trapping
> even
> more heat and killing the electronics even sooner.

Yes, but it is more the electrostatic (electric) fields that attract
debris. <w>

Dry process (xerography) photocopiers cause problems for some critical
equipment. Wet process copiers are used in these circumstances. It is
the dry carbon molecules floating about that get attracted by the E
fields.

I'm not saying that other debris isn't attracted to magnets however.

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Electronics tend to generate
>>a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them.
>
> Nice try but magnetism does not attract dust.

That depends on the dust.

Consider that a large percentage of dust comes from iron bearing
asteroids (meteoroids).

From: Char Jackson on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:34:41 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Electronics tend to generate
>>>a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them.
>>
>> Nice try but magnetism does not attract dust.
>
>That depends on the dust.
>
>Consider that a large percentage of dust comes from iron bearing
>asteroids (meteoroids).

Cite?

The sources I've seen all seem to agree that common household dust is
mostly comprised of dead skin cells, dust mites and their dried feces,
and bits of fiber from fabrics. No mention of iron bearing asteroids.