From: Leythos on
In article <hs72t9$qu1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...
> I have done this countless times and blown out a good deal of dust, so much so
> that formerly hot running computers now run cool. You're operating from
> theory; I'm operating from real life experience.

David, I've been doing this for 30 years and have a LOT of experience in
not just computers but other devices that have heat-sinks as well as
many forms of cooling.

Try and learn from us, you're showing your not all you claim and your
arrogance will limit your growth.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <hs7395$tf8$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> >The air pressure from a cannister of compressed air will not "bend the delicate
> > fins on the fan" (blades) or the fins of the heat sink.
>
> All I can say is that I'm operating from personal experience. I used a can of
> compressed air and a couple puffs was enough to bend a fan blade so that it
> woudn't even turn.

If the air from a poof-can was enough to damage a computer case, heat
sink, video card, etc.. cooling fan the fan should not have been used to
start with. In 30 years I've not seen a single fan, heat-sink, etc...
damaged from the standard store bought poof-cans, even using the little
wand that comes with them.

> Again, I'm saying to just LIGHTLY spritz the feather duster, NOT saturate it.
> The idea is to give the dust something to hold onto. Some feather dusters
> have enough oil on them naturally that this isn't necessary, but some don't
> have enough natural oil to do so.

Oil will transfer to the fan causing it to collect MORE dust more
quickly, and I say this from 30 years of experience.

Why do you think that the Navy uses a light sprits of OIL on the metal
filters in duct-work on ships - because IT ATTRACTS DUST.

> I'm talking from personal experience. The computer I'm using at this moment I
> dusted in this manner about 2 years ago and everything is working fine. In
> fact, SpeedFan shows that all 4 temperature sensors are operating cool -- 34,
> 48, 34, 33 degrees Celsius. The last time I looked inside, I didn't see
> anything odd about any components, either.

It would appear that many of us have 20+ years your experience.

Trust yourself.
From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
>>The nice things about Air Compressors is that they can be set to any
>>PSI
>>between 0 and 120 in most cases - a 30PSI setting is not going to harm
>>anything.
>
> Most people are not going to be lugging an air compressor around; and
> why
> should they when a simple lips to the out-hole and a few puffs will
> dislodge
> the dust?
>

>>Using your own breath isn't going to do much and certainly has it's
>>own
>>issues, spit/moisture....
>
> I have done this countless times and blown out a good deal of dust, so
> much so
> that formerly hot running computers now run cool. You're operating
> from
> theory; I'm operating from real life experience.
>
> Yeah, it's not elegant, but a lot of repairs are not elegant. I
> learned this
> from a car body shop when I noticed that people often fixed bumpers by
> removing them and then jumping on them. Of course, never show the
> inelegant
> fix to the customer...

Professionally, I always used the can of air method - haven't you guys
ever used that old standby?

(spit shines and air compressors - sheesh <rolls eyes>)

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Sun, 9 May 2010 12:07:40 -0400:

|> I bought a cheap feather duster. I use it with just a touch of spray
|> furniture polish (just a light spray, to just give it enough oil to pick
|
| I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals
| are used which may cause corrosion of electronics.

Furniture polish?
Egads.....
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Sun, 9 May 2010 16:43:48 -0400:

| For a blade of a fan to be impacted by air pressure from cannister of
| compressed air the blades would have to be of pie tin grade aluminum.
| There just isn't that mch force.

I just put a tooth pick in the fan grill (to hold the fan) then air clean
toward the heat sink.
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca