From: Leythos on
In article <hs5pmb$uvi$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...
> I recommend against using compressed air for a laptop because I feel the
> pressure is too great and may bend the delicate fins on the fan. This is why
> I recommend gently blowing into the air output holes, since it's far easier to
> control one's breath than it is a cannister full of compressed air. A few
> puffs can dislodge a lot of gunk.

The nice things about Air Compressors is that they can be set to any PSI
between 0 and 120 in most cases - a 30PSI setting is not going to harm
anything.

Using your own breath isn't going to do much and certainly has it's own
issues, spit/moisture....

Trust yourself.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>If it was a notebook that had dust choked cooling fins then it would possibly
>> indicate a
>>thermal shutdown and be able to reboot once cool and cycle through that.
>> Compressed air
>>is good for cleaning the cooling fins.

| I recommend against using compressed air for a laptop because I feel the
| pressure is too great and may bend the delicate fins on the fan. This is why
| I recommend gently blowing into the air output holes, since it's far easier to
| control one's breath than it is a cannister full of compressed air. A few
| puffs can dislodge a lot of gunk.

>>When cleaning a desktop chassis a vacuum cleaner wand and soft-bristle paint
>> brush is
>>best. Use the paint brush to gently dislodge the dust and vacuum the dislodged
>> material
>>using the vacuum wand.

| I bought a cheap feather duster. I use it with just a touch of spray
| furniture polish (just a light spray, to just give it enough oil to pick up
| the dust. With this I can gently pull the plumes along various circuit
| boards, around components, under the HD bay, etc., to pick up a *lot* of gunk
| from inside the chassis. Then a rigorous shake of the duster will dislodge
| the dust.

The air pressure from a cannister of compressed air will not "bend the delicate fins on
the fan" (blades) or the fins of the heat sink.

I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals are used which may
cause corrosion of electronics.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>The nice things about Air Compressors is that they can be set to any PSI
>between 0 and 120 in most cases - a 30PSI setting is not going to harm
>anything.

Most people are not going to be lugging an air compressor around; and why
should they when a simple lips to the out-hole and a few puffs will dislodge
the dust?

>Using your own breath isn't going to do much and certainly has it's own
>issues, spit/moisture....

I have done this countless times and blown out a good deal of dust, so much so
that formerly hot running computers now run cool. You're operating from
theory; I'm operating from real life experience.

Yeah, it's not elegant, but a lot of repairs are not elegant. I learned this
from a car body shop when I noticed that people often fixed bumpers by
removing them and then jumping on them. Of course, never show the inelegant
fix to the customer...

From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>The air pressure from a cannister of compressed air will not "bend the delicate
> fins on the fan" (blades) or the fins of the heat sink.

All I can say is that I'm operating from personal experience. I used a can of
compressed air and a couple puffs was enough to bend a fan blade so that it
woudn't even turn.

>I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals are used
> which may cause corrosion of electronics.

Again, I'm saying to just LIGHTLY spritz the feather duster, NOT saturate it.
The idea is to give the dust something to hold onto. Some feather dusters
have enough oil on them naturally that this isn't necessary, but some don't
have enough natural oil to do so.

I'm talking from personal experience. The computer I'm using at this moment I
dusted in this manner about 2 years ago and everything is working fine. In
fact, SpeedFan shows that all 4 temperature sensors are operating cool -- 34,
48, 34, 33 degrees Celsius. The last time I looked inside, I didn't see
anything odd about any components, either.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>The air pressure from a cannister of compressed air will not "bend the delicate
>> fins on the fan" (blades) or the fins of the heat sink.

| All I can say is that I'm operating from personal experience. I used a can of
| compressed air and a couple puffs was enough to bend a fan blade so that it
| woudn't even turn.

>>I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals are used
>> which may cause corrosion of electronics.

| Again, I'm saying to just LIGHTLY spritz the feather duster, NOT saturate it.
| The idea is to give the dust something to hold onto. Some feather dusters
| have enough oil on them naturally that this isn't necessary, but some don't
| have enough natural oil to do so.

| I'm talking from personal experience. The computer I'm using at this moment I
| dusted in this manner about 2 years ago and everything is working fine. In
| fact, SpeedFan shows that all 4 temperature sensors are operating cool -- 34,
| 48, 34, 33 degrees Celsius. The last time I looked inside, I didn't see
| anything odd about any components, either.

I am a certified Toshiba NB technician.

Even a spritz of "furniture polish" is too much. It is the wrong solution for
electronics.

For a blade of a fan to be impacted by air pressure from cannister of compressed air the
blades would have to be of pie tin grade aluminum. There just isn't that mch force.

--
Dave