From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>

| In article <Xns9D766F3AD5DB0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
| bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com says...

>> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in

>> > In article <hse1ni$6r9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
>> > @yahoo.com says...

>> > Most of the dust we find in computers appears to be from construction
>> > being done in the areas, dirt from the bottom of shoes that gets
>> > stirred up as people walk across a floor and then pet/people hair.

>> And the cig smokers? That... cruddy stuff in the fins. :)

| We have a few manufacturing facilities that we support, some of those
| make parts by cutting metal - the oil in the air plays heck with the
| air-flow - it grabs the dust and just creates layers that can't be
| removed by blowing it, you have to turn things off and use a safe
| solvent to remove it...

I know what you mean. The atomized oil flocculates with the dust and creates a sticky
materiel that doesn't just attach to the surfaces but actually adheres to it.

--
Dave

From: Leythos on
In article <hsf8gv011d7(a)news1.newsguy.com>, DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net
says...
> | Placing the computer above 20" seems to eliminate 90% of the dust
> | problem caused by floor traffic.
>
> It is amazing how much dirtier the inside of a chassis can get when it sits on a carpeted
> floor.

I've been telling friends and customers, for decades, to keep computers
and anything with a fan at least 20" above the floor to keep from having
it collect dust.

Trust yourself.
From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>It is amazing how much dirtier the inside of a chassis can get when it sits on
> a carpeted
>floor.

In my experience the dustiest computers are owned by families with young kids.
Young kids aparently shed a LOT of skin, and the dusty tends to be quite
oily.

Oddly enough, one of the cleanest computers I saw was an 8-year old Dell 8400
or 8300 or something in there, which was working fulltime in a metal shop.
The owner was careful about his own health and had installed an air lock kind
of thing (a small ante-room with a second door and intense weather stripping
on both doors).

The only thing odd I noticed was some red powder around the case. Very
puzzled I asked if he'd maybe spilled some kind of chemical. He thought about
it and then remembered that his kid had come in and was mixing powdered
Kool-Aid and had spilled the powder over everything.

From: Dustin Cook on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in news:MPG.2654cee36a6a340598a351
@us.news.astraweb.com:

> In article <Xns9D766F3AD5DB0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
> bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com says...
>>
>> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in
>>
>> > In article <hse1ni$6r9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
>> > @yahoo.com says...

>> > Most of the dust we find in computers appears to be from
construction
>> > being done in the areas, dirt from the bottom of shoes that gets
>> > stirred up as people walk across a floor and then pet/people hair.
>>
>> And the cig smokers? That... cruddy stuff in the fins. :)
>
> We have a few manufacturing facilities that we support, some of those
> make parts by cutting metal - the oil in the air plays heck with the
> air-flow - it grabs the dust and just creates layers that can't be
> removed by blowing it, you have to turn things off and use a safe
> solvent to remove it...

Yep. And don't you like how that oily goo seems to stick on everything
near the fan? :( Capacitors and transistors I have found are really bad
for it).

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>
>
>| Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in
>
>>> In article <hse1ni$6r9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
>>> @yahoo.com says...

>>> Most of the dust we find in computers appears to be from
>>> construction being done in the areas, dirt from the bottom of shoes
>>> that gets stirred up as people walk across a floor and then
>>> pet/people hair.
>
>| And the cig smokers? That... cruddy stuff in the fins. :)
>

> When I did work as a Value Added Reseller (VAR) I supported a NJ bank.
> They all smoked around their AST brand computers. It was amazing how
> the colour of the plastic darkens under cigarette tar and much dust is
> attracted and sticks to the surfaces.

if you noticed the cases darkening, I'm sure you noticed the power and
ide cables not looking the same anymore..? :)