From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>The air pressure from a cannister of compressed air will not "bend the
>>delicate
>> fins on the fan" (blades) or the fins of the heat sink.
>
> All I can say is that I'm operating from personal experience. I used
> a can of compressed air and a couple puffs was enough to bend a fan
> blade so that it woudn't even turn.

I can't say as I've ever seen this issue. Short of the blade coming in
contact with something, even a bent blade will spin. If the motor
appeared locked up, I'd say the bearings were bad; likely due to
excessive overheating conditions.

>>I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals
>>are used
>> which may cause corrosion of electronics.
>
> Again, I'm saying to just LIGHTLY spritz the feather duster, NOT
> saturate it. The idea is to give the dust something to hold onto.
> Some feather dusters have enough oil on them naturally that this isn't
> necessary, but some don't have enough natural oil to do so.

Oil is very bad directly on electronics man.. Corrosive as hell for them.

> I'm talking from personal experience. The computer I'm using at this
> moment I dusted in this manner about 2 years ago and everything is
> working fine. In fact, SpeedFan shows that all 4 temperature sensors
> are operating cool -- 34, 48, 34, 33 degrees Celsius. The last time I
> looked inside, I didn't see anything odd about any components, either.

How many computers have you professionally serviced in the last year? As
you speak from personal experience, is this an isolated incident or ?

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> Oil is very bad directly on electronics man.. Corrosive as hell for
> them.

Not to mention a good source of static generation; as oil will let the dust
particles attach to everything powered up.. :( Electronics tend to generate
a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them. Oiling them is only
going to ensure the dust sticks and builds up a nasty film; trapping even
more heat and killing the electronics even sooner.

From: David Kaye on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Who said anything about spitting? Your hot air, no pun intended contains a
>large amount of moisture.

As if a couple puffs of breath into an already hot vent hole is going to wreck
anything. Whatever moisture is in the breath will evaporate quickly.

You folks simply don't like what I said because it's not politically correct.
It's a simple, handy fix, inelegant as all get-out, but still a simply, handy
fix.

From: David Kaye on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Electronics tend to generate
>a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them.

Nice try but magnetism does not attract dust. If that were the case, every
power cord would be covered with dust

>Oiling them is only
>going to ensure the dust sticks and builds up a nasty film; trapping even
>more heat and killing the electronics even sooner.

Another stupid statement. I said nothing about "oiling" anything. I said a
short "spritz" onto a feather duster, enough to cause the dust to stick to it
as I make a quick sweep of the case, the back vent of the power supply, the
area under the HD bay, etc.

Okay, another option for those of you who are thoroughly disgusted by my
suggestions, let me substitute something else for the feather duster: a
microfibre towel. They sell these at Walgreen's for about $1 apieace. You
don't need to put ANYTHING on the cloth because the dust will cling to the
cloth. Then just shake out the cloth. OKAY, SATISIFED?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>

| Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>> Oil is very bad directly on electronics man.. Corrosive as hell for
>> them.

| Not to mention a good source of static generation; as oil will let the dust
| particles attach to everything powered up.. :( Electronics tend to generate
| a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them. Oiling them is only
| going to ensure the dust sticks and builds up a nasty film; trapping even
| more heat and killing the electronics even sooner.

You said...
"Electronics tend to generate a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them..."

No. It is...
"Electronics tend to generate a nice electrostatic field that brings the dust to them..."

--
Dave