From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

| Hello, David!

| You wrote on Sun, 9 May 2010 12:07:40 -0400:

||> I bought a cheap feather duster. I use it with just a touch of spray
||> furniture polish (just a light spray, to just give it enough oil to pick

|| I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals
|| are used which may cause corrosion of electronics.

| Furniture polish?
| Egads.....

Exactly.

--
Dave

From: "nobody >" on
David Kaye wrote:
snip
> I recommend against using compressed air for a laptop because I feel the
> pressure is too great and may bend the delicate fins on the fan. This is why
> I recommend gently blowing into the air output holes, since it's far easier to
> control one's breath than it is a cannister full of compressed air. A few
> puffs can dislodge a lot of gunk.

snijp
> I bought a cheap feather duster. I use it with just a touch of spray
> furniture polish (just a light spray, to just give it enough oil to pick up
> the dust. With this I can gently pull the plumes along various circuit
> boards, around components, under the HD bay, etc., to pick up a *lot* of gunk
> from inside the chassis. Then a rigorous shake of the duster will dislodge
> the dust.

If duster-can air "may bend the delicate fins on the fan", then the
damned fan's too delicate to be in a laptop.

It could be that I've primarily worked on either "ancient" LTs that were
built heavy-duty to start with, or "ruggedized" ToughBooks and such.

Even the standard duty LTs I've worked on held up fine with the old
"airgun", including fans.

Disclaimer:
Just because I said and do this, that doesn't mean that damage won't
occur from doing it my way....inappropriately..

You don't place the nozzle directly on top of paper labels and blast
them for minutes...

I've been using "line air" off a 70 PSI or so air-compressor for years
for cleaning all sorts of electrical, electronic, mechanical or "mixed'
devices for going-on 40 years now. I'll admit to using a water trap tho.

I did finally get a nozzle designed for "anti-static" use, it's nothing
but a metal tube filled with copper/bronze mesh with a statground lead
attached. I could have made one 7 times over on cost/time wise, damned
thing cost $45 in '94 and took two weeks to ship it...

The airgun cleaning is done on a grounded metal bench with an exhaust
hood with a healthy suction.

Computers; be they laptops or desktops.. are just another item, nothing
special about them . I squirt the "bejejus" out of them when they come
across the bench, going into every nook and cranny, especially the fans.
I intentionally windmill the blades, both directions. This often helps
break up the gummy lube by forcing the shaft past the gunk rings. If
there's still a gunky film on the blades, I pull the fan and manually
clean it (Windex works fine here).

Same with optical and floppy drives, if the air didn't clean them out,
open them up and manually clean them.

If you've ever dealt with laptops (radios, whatever) used by fire
departments, police, military, or utility crews, you'll have a good
guess as to what finds it's way inside stuff..

I used to think the accumulated dog slobber/dander on the keyboard on K9
car MDTs was about the worst, but a cell hands-free kit installed by an
outside vendor was the worst. The idiots put the "guts box" just under
the console's cupholder. Driver was a very heavy user of RedMan chaw.
You can guess the rest.

(I'm still trying to figure out the mobile printer with a half-pound of
birdseed-like millet, not sunflower seeds-inside, driver wasn't a
pirate, not even the Seattle Seafair kind, and no birdshit found in
vehicle.)

As far as damages resulting for using the airgun?

Yes, I have lost fans, 3 in 40+ years and probably 1000+ devices with
fans. Was it *just* the airgun cleaning that killed them? Probably not.
IMHO, if the fan *was* damaged by this, it was too fragile and needed
replacement anyway!

ESD /"static"? I know that ESD exists, and I've seen the actual damage
done using a qual lab microscope to see the craters. I've yet to see a
problem caused by ESD caused by water-filtered (and "grounded") air.

From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>Oil will transfer to the fan causing it to collect MORE dust more
>quickly, and I say this from 30 years of experience.

Did I say anything about touching a fan with a feather duster? I did not.

From: David Kaye on
"nobody >" <usenetharvested(a)aol.com> wrote:

>If duster-can air "may bend the delicate fins on the fan", then the
>damned fan's too delicate to be in a laptop.

Welcome to the world of $300 laptops.

From: Leythos on
In article <hs7h4n$mol$1(a)leythos.motzarella.org>, trt(a)void.com says...

> In your 30 years experience you could not learn how to blow air out of your
> mouth without spitting?

Like most of your BS, you didn't take away what you should have. The
discussion is about PEOPLE doing stupid things - like blowing using the
mouth, with all the MOIST AIR as well as sometimes spittle.

Trust yourself.