From: David Kaye on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hmm... I don't know if it's more stable, or slightly? smarter users. :)

Smarter but sometimes too smart for their own good. People do tend to latch
onto the scare of the day. Lately it's cookies. They don't wan'em so I turn
them off, then they phone and tell me that EBay doesn't remember them
anymore...

Oh, and registry "cleaners". Many of my customers have these. I remove all
of them except CCleaner (which is the only one that doesn't scare the bejeebus
out of me). I tell them that they don't need registry cleaners or any other
"tools". I tell them to phone me first before installing some kind of
"helper".

From: Leythos on
In article <Xns9D766F3AD5DB0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com says...

> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in
>
> > In article <hse1ni$6r9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
> > @yahoo.com says...

> >> It's easy enough to check, and as I said, there have been occasional
> >> calls for household dust for the making of antigens in medicine.
> >> Skin cells as dust are whitish grey and a bit oily to the touch.
> >
> > Most of the dust we find in computers appears to be from construction
> > being done in the areas, dirt from the bottom of shoes that gets
> > stirred up as people walk across a floor and then pet/people hair.
>
> And the cig smokers? That... cruddy stuff in the fins. :)

We have a few manufacturing facilities that we support, some of those
make parts by cutting metal - the oil in the air plays heck with the
air-flow - it grabs the dust and just creates layers that can't be
removed by blowing it, you have to turn things off and use a safe
solvent to remove it...

Trust yourself.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| Nope, the recession hasn't hit me at all. In fact, a few months ago I raised
| my prices. I have found that my business has shifted from 95% malware removal
| to about 40% today. The rest is hardware, networking, setup, etc. I chalk
| that up to Windows being more stable.

| Yesterday's agenda was a misconfigured router that couldn't connect to the
| Internet, networking a printer, malware removal, and a firewall problem
| prevening file sharing.

As I was in my lab cleaning dust from sveral notebooks, I mentioned this thread to my
peers that were present.

We all had a hearty laugh about the use of compressed air bending fins/blades and about
using Furniture Polish on a duster.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>

| In article <hse1ni$6r9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
| @yahoo.com says...

>> "Dragon" <qz39dragon.trapbait(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> >Guess we'll never know for sure and each will continue to believe as they
>> >wish!
>> >Must say that what I see in my computers doesn't look much like skin cells.

>> It's easy enough to check, and as I said, there have been occasional calls for
>> household dust for the making of antigens in medicine. Skin cells as dust are
>> whitish grey and a bit oily to the touch.

| Most of the dust we find in computers appears to be from construction
| being done in the areas, dirt from the bottom of shoes that gets stirred
| up as people walk across a floor and then pet/people hair.

| Placing the computer above 20" seems to eliminate 90% of the dust
| problem caused by floor traffic.

It is amazing how much dirtier the inside of a chassis can get when it sits on a carpeted
floor.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>

| Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in

>> In article <hse1ni$6r9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
>> @yahoo.com says...

>>> It's easy enough to check, and as I said, there have been occasional
>>> calls for household dust for the making of antigens in medicine.
>>> Skin cells as dust are whitish grey and a bit oily to the touch.

>> Most of the dust we find in computers appears to be from construction
>> being done in the areas, dirt from the bottom of shoes that gets
>> stirred up as people walk across a floor and then pet/people hair.

| And the cig smokers? That... cruddy stuff in the fins. :)

When I did work as a Value Added Reseller (VAR) I supported a NJ bank. They all smoked
around their AST brand computers. It was amazing how the colour of the plastic darkens
under cigarette tar and much dust is attracted and sticks to the surfaces.

--
Dave