From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Electronics tend to generate
>>a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them.
>
> Nice try but magnetism does not attract dust. If that were the case,
> every power cord would be covered with dust

Umm.. Actually, I said a magnetic field; not necessarily mangnetism in
any real sense of the word; You haven't been around many circuit boards
I'm guessing...

>>Oiling them is only
>>going to ensure the dust sticks and builds up a nasty film; trapping
>>even more heat and killing the electronics even sooner.
>
> Another stupid statement. I said nothing about "oiling" anything. I
> said a short "spritz" onto a feather duster, enough to cause the dust
> to stick to it as I make a quick sweep of the case, the back vent of
> the power supply, the area under the HD bay, etc.

Where do you think that "spritz" goes dude? It's oil. Whether you realize
it or not, it covers everything in it's path.

> Okay, another option for those of you who are thoroughly disgusted by
> my suggestions, let me substitute something else for the feather
> duster: a microfibre towel. They sell these at Walgreen's for about
> $1 apieace. You don't need to put ANYTHING on the cloth because the
> dust will cling to the cloth. Then just shake out the cloth. OKAY,
> SATISIFED?

Do you know why the dust clings? :) Wiseass. See above, where you said
"magnetism" doesn't attract dust. A magnetic field (not necessarily,
magnetic mind you) does; that item you mentioned uses static electricity
to bring the dust to it and make it stick. I wouldn't suggest you wipe
down ram sticks with it. No, actually; I suggest you should. It would fit
right in with your repairs.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>
>
>| Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>
>>> Oil is very bad directly on electronics man.. Corrosive as hell for
>>> them.
>
>| Not to mention a good source of static generation; as oil will let
>| the dust particles attach to everything powered up.. :( Electronics
>| tend to generate a nice magnetic field that brings the dust to them.
>| Oiling them is only going to ensure the dust sticks and builds up a
>| nasty film; trapping even more heat and killing the electronics even
>| sooner.
>

> You said...
> "Electronics tend to generate a nice magnetic field that brings the
> dust to them..."
>
> No. It is...
> "Electronics tend to generate a nice electrostatic field that brings
> the dust to them..."

My bad.. miswording...

From: David Kaye on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>So, it is "most household dust" now, and not just "dust"?

No, it's even more than that. The vast majority of household dust (excluding
homes next to freeways, etc) is made up of human skin cells. The next major
component is vermin pieces -- insect parts and feces, then pet dander.

Living in the SF Bay Area we're inundated with medical researech for UC
Berkeley, Stanford, and UCSF Medical school. From time to time various
projects have asked for household dust in order to make various antigens.
Antigens, for the most part, come from human parts such as skin cells. From
time to time we might hear an ad on the radio advertising for household dust
for a study. It's because of the plethora of skin cells present.

From: Dragon on

"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

>>So, it is "most household dust" now, and not just "dust"?
>
> No, it's even more than that. The vast majority of household dust
> (excluding
> homes next to freeways, etc) is made up of human skin cells. The next
> major
> component is vermin pieces -- insect parts and feces, then pet dander.

Well now according to a UK TV programme that is just a myth.
Most components are reckoned to be what common sense would suggest.
Plain old dirt; bits of fabric fibres; animal hairs etc with human skin
cells being a very minor fraction.
Guess we'll never know for sure and each will continue to believe as they
wish!
Must say that what I see in my computers doesn't look much like skin cells.

Henry

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

>>So, it is "most household dust" now, and not just "dust"?
>
> No, it's even more than that. The vast majority of household dust
> (excluding
> homes next to freeways, etc) is made up of human skin cells. The next
> major
> component is vermin pieces -- insect parts and feces, then pet dander.

I can't argue about what most dust consists of, but I can say that some
dust is magnetic in nature.

> Living in the SF Bay Area we're inundated with medical researech for
> UC
> Berkeley, Stanford, and UCSF Medical school. From time to time
> various
> projects have asked for household dust in order to make various
> antigens.
> Antigens, for the most part, come from human parts such as skin cells.
> From
> time to time we might hear an ad on the radio advertising for
> household dust
> for a study. It's because of the plethora of skin cells present.

....it seems that learning institutes have a habit of studying things.
:o)

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1967SCoA...11..361G