From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Mon, 10 May 2010 08:27:37 GMT:

FL>> If duster-can air "may bend the delicate fins on the fan", then the
FL>> damned fan's too delicate to be in a laptop.
DK>
DK> Welcome to the world of $300 laptops.

I paid over $1.000 6 years ago for a Toshiba A30
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Leythos on
In article <n31Gn.8607$TL5.3362(a)newsfe24.iad>, stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca
says...

> Hello, David!
>
> You wrote on Mon, 10 May 2010 08:27:37 GMT:
>

> FL>> If duster-can air "may bend the delicate fins on the fan", then the
> FL>> damned fan's too delicate to be in a laptop.
> DK>
> DK> Welcome to the world of $300 laptops.
>
> I paid over $1.000 6 years ago for a Toshiba A30

My Toshiba and other cheap < $400 laptops don't have weak fan blades.

Trust yourself.
From: David Kaye on
"gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

>I paid over $1.000 6 years ago for a Toshiba A30

Then you probably won't have a laptop with cheaply made fan blades that bend
under a gust of compressed air -- which was my point.

From: Dustin Cook on
"The Real Truth MVP" <trt(a)void.com> wrote in

> In your 30 years experience you could not learn how to blow air out of
> your mouth without spitting?

Who said anything about spitting? Your hot air, no pun intended contains a
large amount of moisture.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>
>
>| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>>If it was a notebook that had dust choked cooling fins then it would
>>>possibly
>>> indicate a
>>>thermal shutdown and be able to reboot once cool and cycle through
>>>that.
>>> Compressed air
>>>is good for cleaning the cooling fins.
>
>| I recommend against using compressed air for a laptop because I feel
>| the pressure is too great and may bend the delicate fins on the fan.
>| This is why I recommend gently blowing into the air output holes,
>| since it's far easier to control one's breath than it is a cannister
>| full of compressed air. A few puffs can dislodge a lot of gunk.
>

>>>When cleaning a desktop chassis a vacuum cleaner wand and
>>>soft-bristle paint
>>> brush is
>>>best. Use the paint brush to gently dislodge the dust and vacuum the
>>>dislodged
>>> material
>>>using the vacuum wand.
>
>| I bought a cheap feather duster. I use it with just a touch of spray
>| furniture polish (just a light spray, to just give it enough oil to
>| pick up the dust. With this I can gently pull the plumes along
>| various circuit boards, around components, under the HD bay, etc., to
>| pick up a *lot* of gunk from inside the chassis. Then a rigorous
>| shake of the duster will dislodge the dust.
>

> The air pressure from a cannister of compressed air will not "bend the
> delicate fins on the fan" (blades) or the fins of the heat sink.
>
> I wouldn't use any "furniture polish" as you don't know what chemicals
> are used which may cause corrosion of electronics.

I know many lcd panels will die shortly after being exposed to furniture
polish. :)