From: tbmoas58 on

I had miserable real word experiance with carvers,could not carry enough
fuses to get them through a show(2400's)
the stress of live sound,even excluding physical damage, will easily exceed
anything you would do on the bench

IMO and experiance the actually useing of a amp is far away more stressful
than any bench test
that is why I trust real word reports
like how pathetic the crowns(macrotechs) and crests(all of thyem) are when
pushed
my powersoft sailed through bench testing only to catch on fire in real use
my rcf art 300a's bench tested fine, again caught on fire as dry rental
bench testing IMO is not anything more than can this amp meet its given spec
and does its protection"mostly" work as described
Give me experiance SR company owners real experiance with a amp over any
bench test
bench tests are for solder jockeys that do not have a clue as to what will
be asked of a amp in the real world,
next to worthless IMO
george

From: Gareth Magennis on

<tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> I had miserable real word experiance with carvers,could not carry enough
> fuses to get them through a show(2400's)
> the stress of live sound,even excluding physical damage, will easily
> exceed anything you would do on the bench

The PT 1800 and 2400 never looked particularly Pro to me, our company
wouldn't use them. I'm not sure but I think they were more conventional
amps, not the regulated supply design that the PM had.

Gareth.

From: Ron(UK) on
tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
the stress of live sound,even excluding physical damage, will easily
exceed
> anything you would do on the bench

Unless you have permission to try your hardest to blow it up - tho the
manufacturer should have done that in the first place.

OT - I used to have a mate who's job it was to test cars to destruction.
He spent his days hurling rally cars round a race track to find out what
would break - what a great job.

> bench testing IMO is not anything more than can this amp meet its given spec
> and does its protection"mostly" work as described
> Give me experiance SR company owners real experiance with a amp over any
> bench test
> bench tests are for solder jockeys that do not have a clue as to what will
> be asked of a amp in the real world,
> next to worthless IMO

Best way to test an amp is to lend it to a DJ for a night. ;)

Ron(UK)
From: liquidator on

<tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> bench tests are for solder jockeys that do not have a clue as to what will
> be asked of a amp in the real world,
> next to worthless IMO
> george

I won't use an amp without benching it first. At least I can have some
confidence it works. I do not trust to ANY manufacturers QC.

From: Eeyore on

tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:

> bench tests are for solder jockeys that do not have a clue as to what will
> be asked of a amp in the real world,
> next to worthless IMO

Oh really ?

I spent some time researching a suitable test and ended getting several 'rave
CDs'.

We checked out the various tracks and found one with especially low dynamic
range.

Our 'bench test' involved leaving that on continuous repeat with either (a) the
amplifier driven just to the point of clipping (clip leds illuminate briefly
from time to time) or (b) the rerally tough test, a further 10dB of 'overdrive'
with the amp's own limiters engaged.

Thermocouples attached to heatsink and power transformer tell you the important
stuff.

I guarantee that'll sort the men from the boys.

Graham