From: TimPerry on
Eeyore wrote:
> "Ron(UK)" wrote:
>
>> Best way to test an amp is to lend it to a DJ for a night. ;)
>
> That's *exactly* how I derived my test ( see other post ).
>
> Graham

that's not a test, that's amplifier homicide.

my QSC USA 850 had served me well for many years until i lent it out.

i got it back in fuse test mode.

From: Phil Allison on

"TimPerry"

>>> Best way to test an amp is to lend it to a DJ for a night. ;)
>>
>> That's *exactly* how I derived my test ( see other post ).
>>

> that's not a test, that's amplifier homicide.
>
> my QSC USA 850 had served me well for many years until i lent it out.
>
> i got it back in fuse test mode.

** That state can be achieved in about two seconds when the amp is:

1. Driving a transformer matched load.

2. Has the two outputs connected to the same speaker box.

3. Is supplied with supersonic ( ie 40kHz ) oscillations.

4. Has one output connected to the output of another amp.

........ Phil

From: Eeyore on

TimPerry wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
> > "Ron(UK)" wrote:
> >
> >> Best way to test an amp is to lend it to a DJ for a night. ;)
> >
> > That's *exactly* how I derived my test ( see other post ).
> >
> > Graham
>
> that's not a test, that's amplifier homicide.
>
> my QSC USA 850 had served me well for many years until i lent it out.
>
> i got it back in fuse test mode.

You read my test method ?

All the amplifiers I've designed will tolerate that test indefinitely ( well OK
I've never run it for longer than 8 hours ) at an ambient temp not exceeeding
25C with a 4 ohm load per channel. Some may exhibit occasional thermal shutdown
for a minute or so intermittently.

They even do tolerably well with a 2 ohm load without the 10dB overdrive.

Graham

From: TimPerry on
Phil Allison wrote:
> "TimPerry"

>>> That's *exactly* how I derived my test ( see other post ).
>>>

>> that's not a test, that's amplifier homicide.
>>
>> my QSC USA 850 had served me well for many years until i lent it out.
>>
>> i got it back in fuse test mode.
>

> ** That state can be achieved in about two seconds when the amp is:
>
> 1. Driving a transformer matched load.

this individual at times uses peavey stage monitors that have a volume
control on them. this adjusts total speaker volume. i dont know what type it
is but it could be inductive.

> 2. Has the two outputs connected to the same speaker box.

this individual is capable of doing this. it is not a scenario that would
have occurred to me. he has been setting up mixpack + speakers on stands for
years.

> 3. Is supplied with supersonic ( ie 40kHz ) oscillations.

this individual plays mostly MP-3 from a laptop... using heaphone output.

> 4. Has one output connected to the output of another amp.

this could have happened also. he has been using my Soundcraftsman PM860 for
months without a failure now.

i suspect most likely it was a direct short on the output. i had to replace
several of his 1/4" plugs.

From: Phildo on

"Earl Grey" <eg(a)t.pot> wrote in message news:45b7abd4$1(a)clear.net.nz...
> Phildo wrote:
>

>> At Brit Row the guy there (Jerry Wing - top sausage) would just drop the
>> amp on the floor off the bench as a final test. He would normally wait
>> until the rep was there before he did it just to see the look on their
>> face.
>>
>> If the amp didn't survive that it would never survive a ride in the back
>> of a truck.
>>
>> Is always a good idea to knock a rack about a few times after you've put
>> it together. Will show up any loose cables etc.
>>
> You should tell him about those Behringer amps you discovered.

Why on earth would I want to do that? Brit Row are already well sorted for
amps.

You seem blissfully unaware of the market the Behringer amps are aimed at.
Get a clue why don't you.

Phildo