From: Jim Carlock on
Betov wrote:
> Again, *NO*. This does not exist under Ubuntu.

Frank Kotler replied:
: You're right! From the link Robert posted:
:
: --------------
: By default, the root account password is locked in Ubuntu. This means
: that you cannot login as root directly or use the su command to become
: the root user...
: ---------------
<snip>...</snip>
: Makes it a totally unacceptable distro, in my book. Cancel my order for
: a Dell with Ubuntu. (I still like the idea of encouraging vendors to
: preinstall Linux... Y'know, I'm in danger of becoming a Slackware bigot!
: Not Ubuntu, in any case)

"santosh" wrote...
: Aren't you reacting a bit too strongly? Surely a Linux distribution aimed
: at "Joe Windows User", does a good thing by disabling the root account
: by default? Advanced Linux users can always re-enable it, like I did, the
: first thing after installation.

That's a bit better than what Microsoft does with their Operating Systems...

MS installs a blank administrative pw that can be accessed by booting up
into safe mode (at least on XP and Win2K they did that). And there's a
couple other ways to hack into a system if one knows an administrative
password on another system. It's been a while since I've used such a hack
(forgot some passwords and needed to get back into a system).

One technique involves configuring the screen saver to run the cmd.exe
prompt. Once the screen saver activates itself, you have full administrative
control without logging in. The screen saver can run without Windows
being fully booted.

<shrug>

And if NetBIOS runs... it's like anyone on the Internet can get your pw.

No big deal. Alot of folks still use blank passwords or less than 6 digits,
and I'll guess that such pw amount to the address stamped on the side of
the house, a birthday or something silly and simple, like a 4 digit pin that
they use on their bank cards.

How do you re-enable the Linux root? Surely you're not going to make us
look for it, are you? <g>

--
Jim Carlock
Swimming Pools, Spas And Custom Designed Water Structures

From: Betov on
"sevag.krikorian" <sevag.krikorian(a)gmail.com> �crivait

> It's useless because it is basically a chronological listing of labels
> in the source.

It is a logical-flow list of the Code Labels.

> It is no help for somebody trying to quickly locate a
> specific label or a specific *kind* of label.

It does not list anything but Code Labels, in normal mode.

It can also list any Label (including Data), in Bookmark mode.

> You can make it more useful by having it sorted alphabetically and
> even more useful by providing options to sort by types of labels such
> as macros, procedures, data, idata, etc.

A tree cannot be sorted alphabetically. This makes no sense.

About having options for macros, procs, data,... Sorry, but
nobody ever implemented that.

The Right-Click features are way more "usefull" - as you say -,
than the TreeView, anyway, and if the TreeView is still inside,
this is because a couple of users love using it. Also, i have
no real reason for removing this old toy, that i do not use
personally, as long as it may please some.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Jim Carlock on
On Aug 27, 6:48 am, Robert Redelmeier <red...(a)ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
> Personal observation. GUI users are more divorced from the
> 'operation of the machine and seem to have more trouble grasping the
> abstractions of machine state and instructions. Admittedly over a
> small number and uncorrected for time/interest. Randy would have
> a much better opinion on this subject.

The GUI makes some special interface considerations. OLE/ActiveX is
a really beautiful technology, for both programmers and end-users, in that
it makes things a breeze to work with (providing things are named and
implemented properly).

I tend to use the xcopy command on all windows systems, to copy files
from folder to another. Then I use a Window to delete the folder that I
moved from. Why? Because all the tools I know of for file verification
are ALL command-line tools. That way I insure the successful copying
of files. However, cut-and-paste works great on a Windows system for
moving files from one folder to another on the same drive, because only
a table pointer gets updated (whether the file system is NTFS or FAT or
FAT32) but moving to another disk drive, command-line copying works
more successfully (and perhaps just as quick, it seems to depend upon
the how fast the video card writes to the screen).

Is there anything like ActiveX on a Linux system, where the OS recognizes
a data source and can convert from one data source to another transparently?
Type libraries and objects? That's the ONLY thing Windows might have that
is possibly holding Linux back (for instance, can you drag a picture to a pic-
editing program?).

All the talk about the KDE and Gnome reminds me of an old Windows
competitive OS... GEOS was the name I think. America Online bought the
company out shortly after I stopped beta testing AOL (and the original AIM)
for DOS. Or was it GeoWorks? Lotus 123 was owned by the Lotus company,
dBase was owned by Ashton-Tate. And I owned a 286-12MHz that out-
performed 486DX systems (all because the video card worked as fast as the
cheap Packard Bell 486 computers I compared it against).

Those were the days of BBS (Tomcat was a common BBS at the time) and the
days of Excalibur, Delphi and CompuServe. Then along came the Internet...

Perhaps I've gone too much off topic here. :-) It's just that all the talk here
reminded me of GEOS. I think GeoWorks was something to compete with
Microsoft Works (I never used it, but I did notice that America Online used
some GEOS software in the making of some of their software at one point).

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool And Spa Builders

From: Betov on
CodeMonk <jascwa(a)yahoo.com> �crivait news:QCYAi.67473$pu2.9437
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

>> PS. RosAsm does not need of LoadLibrary nor GetProcAddress
>> for calling any DLL Function.
>>

> Doing so being possible was my point. In either case, do you have an
> alternative method in RosAsm to access DLL functions?

? Not sure i understand your question.

The normal way (call 'DllName.FunctionName') is not enough?

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: CodeMonk on
Betov wrote:

> Which "deficiency"?

The one where if there is some functionality I need, that you don't
provide, then I can utilize the notion of wrapping a useful static
library into a DLL and use it whether you like it or not :)

- Scott