From: Evenbit on
On Aug 28, 11:02 pm, Frank Kotler <fbkot...(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> So maybe you haven't got Nasm... Jesus, I hope the packages manager
> doesn't come up with 0.99.01 as the latest version! Wouldn't be
> surprised. We better get 0.99.02 out *quick*!

I don't have very good bandwidth, so I sometimes have connection
troubles with such things as 'updates' and 'downloads'... so when I
tried a "Edit > Reload Package Information" in Synaptic just then, I
kept (3 times) getting failures. But here is the non-updated info for
the package:

Maintainer: Christian Kesselheim < ckesselh [at] debian [dot] org >
Version: 0.98.38-1.2

However, doing a Debian search...

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=nasm&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

....reveals that you have reason to worry. Looks like somebody there
"jumped the gun" (well, you didn't write a "Warning" in the File
Notes, remember? :)

Version: 0.99.01-1
Maintainer: Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal [at] debian [dot] org>

> Needless to say, I'm curious how easy - or not - you find it to get Nasm
> running. I've always had better luck with "make install" than with the
> .rpm...

I am curious to see him try a hand at installing Hardly Like
Assembler. ;)

Nathan.

From: Jim Carlock on
"Evenbit" <nbaker2328(a)charter.net> wrote...
: Ah, sounds like a perfect system to allow MS-Windows to "go stale"
: on. Now, you seem to be all set to install Ubuntu 6.06 on your newer
: box ( the one you use every day ). If an "unmentionable" OS already
: exists there, just bomb it. :)

<g> Just want to see how Ubuntu handles really old hard disk drives
with known problems. Nothing better than learning how it handles
problems.

What's the command to format a disk drive? About the only things
I know somewhat are ls but I don't know how to get a directory
listing where I see all the attributes and such. Or how to sort folders
first or resort by filename with . and .. first. Lot of things like to work
on for me.

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Builders

From: Jim Carlock on
"Evenbit" wrote...
: Ah, sounds like a perfect system to allow MS-Windows to "go stale"
: on. Now, you seem to be all set to install Ubuntu 6.06 on your newer
: box ( the one you use every day ). If an "unmentionable" OS already
: exists there, just bomb it. :)

I need to play around with the one that's 83% installed on the older system.
It kept failing right around the 83% mark for some reason. There's a bad
spot on the hard disk drive. Windows 98 got around it without too many
problems. But Ubuntu seems to have some difficulties with it.

: P.S. - [if my subliminal powers are still working] Now, go build an
: Ark 200 cubits by 400 cubits. Gather all the animals two by two...

The power of suggestion, heh? <g>

Okay the details on this system:
The hard disk drives... one13GB, one 4 or 5GB and one 1.7GB.
The floppy disk drive is a 1.44 MB deal.
The CD player is a Teac 32x or some such (not a DVD).
The memory... 128MB
The processor... AMD K2-350
2 Ethernet NICs (1 Intel, 1 3Com)
2 External parallel port disk drives
1 Microsoft Cordless Mouse (1997 model or earlier)
1 IBM 101-key keyboard Model M (October 4, 1989, Made in USA)
1 Elan Vital case with original power supply
1 Asus Motherboard
1 original Sound Blaster ISA sound card

The first attempt to install failed. The second attempt failed. The third
attempt failed. <g> The hard drives on that machine whistle.

Windows 98 used to boot up fine, just took ten minutes to get through
the anti-virus, load the fire walls and so on.

It's once again at the 83% mark where it failed in the past. It seems to
stop reading from the CD at this point and starts to do a lot of HDD
reading/writing that lasts forever. I let it run for an hour on one attempt...

So I need to learn some of the low-level hard disk analysis things that
come with Ubuntu... any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

From: Betov on
"sevag.krikorian" <sevag.krikorian(a)gmail.com> �crivait

> There should be a feature of the
> tree or list view to show all these labels at a glance.

You have no idea of "design", do you?

Or maybe you never made the idea that an Assembly Source
could have up to tenth of thousands of Labels?... "to be
seen at a glance"...

:))

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
"sevag.krikorian" <sevag.krikorian(a)gmail.com> �crivait

> -Find Next missing from menu, but this is not too big a deal
> -Find Previous
> -Continuous search

Given the number of Search features in RosAsm, i seriously doubt
any user would do any search (but on day one, maybe), by making
use of the Menu Items. Find next, previous, continue,... are
available from the SearchBox ([Ctrl]/[F]).

> Another nice feature to have would be to automatically insert the
> highlighted text into the find edit box, so that you can select a text
> and press F3 to find the next instance or ctrl-F3 to find previous
> instance.

Never seen the Double-Left-Click menu, minion?

:))

> For all your bragging about having written a 'sources editor' that's a
> snap to navigate, it sure is missing essential features that readily
> exist in so called mundane "text editors" that make navigation much
> faster.

Probably the reason why all RosAsm users say that the search
multiple features save them, at least, half of the developments
times, isn't it?

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >