From: Evenbit on
On Aug 28, 7:04 pm, "Jim Carlock" <anonym...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Anyone able to provide a download link, a version recommendation
> for an older AMD K-350MHz with serial ports, parallel ports, USB
> ports, 2 external (working!) parallel port drives. The system has a few
> hard disk drives in it partitioned into FAT32 right at the moment with
> Win98 SE installed.
>
> Everyone else here seems to have made the dive and I have to break
> out of the fear and do it too!
>
> Any suggestions? Ubuntu?

Ubuntu needs at least 256MB of system RAM. I am guessing that your
K-350 system doesn't meet this. Therefore, I suggest trying Xubuntu
instead:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Nathan.

From: SpooK on
On Aug 28, 6:36 pm, Evenbit <nbaker2...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 7:04 pm, "Jim Carlock" <anonym...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

> > Anyone able to provide a download link, a version recommendation
> > for an older AMD K-350MHz with serial ports, parallel ports, USB
> > ports, 2 external (working!) parallel port drives. The system has a few
> > hard disk drives in it partitioned into FAT32 right at the moment with
> > Win98 SE installed.
>
> > Everyone else here seems to have made the dive and I have to break
> > out of the fear and do it too!
>
> > Any suggestions? Ubuntu?
>
> Ubuntu needs at least 256MB of system RAM. I am guessing that your
> K-350 system doesn't meet this. Therefore, I suggest trying Xubuntu
> instead:
>
> http://www.xubuntu.org/
>
> Nathan.

Good call, I remember looking at the site but I completely forgot
about this sub-distro of Ubuntu!!!

I would have to pull my recommendation for Gentoo/Minimal and just go
with Ubuntu with Xfce (xubuntu) instead :)

From: SpooK on
On Aug 28, 6:36 pm, Evenbit <nbaker2...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Ubuntu needs at least 256MB of system RAM. I am guessing that your
> K-350 system doesn't meet this. Therefore, I suggest trying Xubuntu
> instead:

BTW: The Desktop (Live/Installer) CD still requires 128MB to run and
192MB for installation... even for Xubuntu... download the "Alternate
Install CD" instead, which only requires 64MB :)

From: Jim Carlock on
"Evenbit" <nbaker2328(a)charter.net> wrote...
: Ubuntu needs at least 256MB of system RAM. I am guessing that your
: K-350 system doesn't meet this. Therefore, I suggest trying Xubuntu
: instead:
:
: http://www.xubuntu.org/

Well, I've already downloaded Ubuntu 6.06.1 and booted off the CD. I
forgot about that old TEAC drive. That thing is almost as old as the external
SyQuest hard disk (270MB parallel port) and the BackPack PDCD drives.

I used to daisy chain them and both drives would get a drive letter through
the parallel port. I noticed a definite difference in speed between EPP and
the standard parallel port stuff. Not too much of a difference between ECP
and EPP (was it called ECP?). Get to rediscover that stuff all over again. It's
been years since I've actively used these two external drives. I know the
Syquest works though, because I've tested that one out at times. The other
(the BackPack PD/CD) has been sitting in a box like it's brand new (the
original packaging) for like 7 years now. They didn't call it a laser disk for
some reason, but called it an optical drive or a photo disk or some such.
That was bought at the hight of the double-speed CD disk drives going up
to 4x up to 8x. The SyQuest drive was purchased in 1995. They hard disk
drives in that computer are 4GB hard disk drives.

The Ubuntu Server CD just completed testing the CD successfully. Time to
see what it says about the system.

Thanks for the comments. I think there's only 128MB of RAM on that one.
72-pin SIMMs.

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Developers

From: JDavison on
Betov wrote:
> "rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu" <rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> �crivait
>
>> You talk about the "productivity" of your users. Given that you don't
>> have any sort of library code for your users to use, given that your
>> assembly development system doesn't support the easy use of libraries
>> (and "cut & paste" is *not* a productive way to do libraries), you're
>> not really in a good position to talk about the productivity of your
>> product.
>
> Thanks for sharing your interresting opinions, clown.

It's not just *his* opinion. It's also every genuine software
developer's opinion, whether professional or non-professional.