From: Jim Carlock on
I'm going through another book. <g>

UNIX For Dummies

It's dated 1998, and it identifies Linus Torvalds as the
original Linux man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

He's Finnish! So that's pretty cool, as I'm Finnish as well
(well, at least 25% Finnish, so predominantly Finnish, my
great grandmother and great grandfather came over on the boats
from Finland). I've been told that makes me Mongolian as well,
so that might lower the 25% Finnish to less than 25%.

Supposedly somewhere Linus states, it's pronounced, "Lee-nooks".
Canadians and Americans tend to corrupt the pronunciation and call
it "linn-ucks".

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Builders

From: Jim Carlock on
"Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> wrote...
: I would bet that such drivers do exist. But as you say, not
: plug and play!!!

I only have the SyQuest 270 drive hooked up at the moment.
When I get ready to test the other one, I'll have the BackPack
drive (is actually a type of "optical" CD-ROM like drive - it
can read CDs and write to it's own "optical" disks). I've never
really used that one because all of the internal CD disks work
great and are much faster. I'll hook it up to test Linux when I
get Linux up and running once again. One of the hard disk drives
has some problems and that's causing all sorts of problems. Even
FDISK is having problems with it.

Linux just plain gives up when it detects an error. The old Win98
FDISK has been running for an hour verifying it. I ran some goofy
Western Digital software on it and that software ended up NOT too
helpful.

: First they've gotta be "mounted"!

Fujitsu made some pretty darn good hard disk drives. I've got a
1.7 GB Fujitsu that's working a heck of a lot better than both of
the Western Digital disk drives and it's dated back to 1997, while
the big 13GB Western Digital was manufactured 1999 and the 5GB WD
was made maybe a year earlier. The WD software doesn't report the
"MADE" date on that one. Maybe someone knows how to get the MADE
date from the serial number (AC5100L SN:WD-WT3900301823 Delta 1)?

To add on to my Linus Benedict Torvalds comment I posted earlier,
the next is a pretty good read, and I'm posting it just in case
someone has not seen it/read it. It's dated Aug 26, 1991.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/browse_frm/thread/76536d1fb451ac60?tvc=1

: That's a pretty popular distro (FEDORA 6)...

It's got a lot to it. It comes with what appears to be OpenOffice,
and three different GUI environments (KDE, X-Windows, and I forgot
the other name which I think is one of the defaults). It also, comes
with DNS server, FTP server (YUCK! I dislike FTP and refuse to install
that), HTTP web server (I guess is Apache), as well as development
environments. I can see why Charles likes it. There's plenty more
to it. Some of the things I have no clue as of yet what they are...
Eclipse, et al. It's got alot to it. Chuck can help out here, as I
still haven't got it installed. I've got a few other hard disks
lying around, so I can take the poopy drive out if FDISK doesn't
give up on it.

: http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/

Thanks for that link.

: "cd /my_mountpoint" all one filesystem.

Thanks for the hint. It's all starting to make a little
more sense. If it wasn't for the hard disk pooping out...

From: Wolfgang Kern on

Betov wrote:

>> Let's talk about how to implement Linux into our tools.
>> Have you got brief descriptions of the API-functions ?
>
> I think everything usefull is at: < http://www.gtk.org/ >
> in the Documentation Menu. But, personally, at am not at
> that point, yet... Just exploring...

Thanks for the try, lindonix 'tuad nix' [xlat: does nothing at all],
I think Linux hates me, the page is not present for me :(

__
wolfgang

From: Wolfgang Kern on

I replied:
> Betov wrote:

> >> Let's talk about how to implement Linux into our tools.
> >> Have you got brief descriptions of the API-functions ?
> >
> > I think everything usefull is at: < http://www.gtk.org/ >
> > in the Documentation Menu. But, personally, at am not at
> > that point, yet... Just exploring...
>
> Thanks for the try, lindonix 'tuad nix' [xlat: does nothing at all],
> I think Linux hates me, the page is not present for me :(

Tried it several times and now I got this page open,
Thanks, I go on to read this yet...

__
wolfgang

From: Wolfgang Kern on

After searching and reading:
> I replied:

> > > I think everything usefull is at: < http://www.gtk.org/ >
> > > in the Documentation Menu. But, personally, at am not at
> > > that point, yet... Just exploring...
> >
> > Thanks for the try, lindonix 'tuad nix' [xlat: does nothing at all],
> > I think Linux hates me, the page is not present for me :(
>
> Tried it several times and now I got this page open,
> Thanks, I go on to read this yet...

Now all what I found were Libraries and tool offers,
the page named "API-reference" seems to be a very blank one.

Where the hell are the description of this damned linux functions
from ADD_WCH until ZCAT to be found ???
Use they all just C-libraries and nobody cares how and why they work ?
Someone must have written this libs, Mr. Linus himself ?

__
wolfgang