From: Evenbit on
On Aug 30, 7:05 pm, //\\\\o//\\\\annabee <w...(a)w.w.w> wrote:
> På Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:48:55 +0100, skrev Evenbit <nbaker2...(a)charter.net>:
>
> > If a dozen people point to an empty area of a parking lot and they
> > _all_ claim to see an elephant at that spot -- does this mean that the
> > elephant is REALLY there??
>
> If 4 people point at HLA and _all^4_ claim to see an assembler....
>
> :) Good analogy, Evenbit!

When people have something to fear, they tend to "see" things.

> > Nathan.
>
> All this talk about ESP

And then they must rationalise "why" they see it.

Nathan.

From: Evenbit on
On Aug 30, 11:25 pm, "Jim Carlock" <anonym...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> "Charles Crayne" wrote...
>
> : Yes, my 64-bit development system is running Fedora version 7. Is
> : there something you would like to know about it?
>
> I wouldn't even know where to begin asking questions. It's like a kid
> walking into a candy store for the first time, seeing ALL the different
> varieties and just diving into it all.

See... "choice" feels good, doesn't it? It isn't about 'free' as in
cost; it is about 'free' as in FREEDOM.

> I'm astounded by it all. And then Robert mentioning the TAB TAB...
> It's a good thing I remembered CTRL+C. I keep going for the ESC
> key to break out of the man software.

You want 'Q' there.

> Is there a set of keys that end
> up as the standard Unix way to navigate through documents?

No, just like on Windows, it is up to the application developer to
decide those things. The navigation of 'vi' is easy to learn, but you
would need a book in front of you while learning Emacs.

Nathan.

From: Charles Crayne on
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:25:44 -0400
"Jim Carlock" <anonymous(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> It's like a kid
> walking into a candy store for the first time, seeing ALL the
> different varieties and just diving into it all.

Instead of having to settle for whatever Uncle Billie chooses to hand
out. Yes, sometimes it does seem like an embarrassment of riches, but
before long you will settle on your own personal favorites, and mostly
ignore the rest.

> Is there a set of keys that end
> up as the standard Unix way to navigate through documents?

Perusing documents is one area in which even I prefer to use a gui
(gedit for text files & Open Office for most everything else). However,
sometimes a cli is appropriate. You may perhaps remember the DOS 'MORE'
filter. It still exists in Linux, but most people use a more powerful
version named 'less'. In addition to the usual navigation keys, such as
page up, page down, home, end, and the cursor keys, one can search for a
text string, move forward of backward by a specific number of lines, or
move to a specific line number. The command 'man less' explains it all.
Incidentally, the 'man' command uses the same keys.

-- Chuck
From: //o//annabee on
P� Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:21:11 +0100, skrev CodeMonk <jascwa(a)yahoo.com>:

> //\\o//\\annabee wrote:
>> P� Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:12:56 +0100, skrev CodeMonk <jascwa(a)yahoo.com>:

>>> I guess that depends on whether the *elusive dream* is a good thing or
>>> a bad thing.

>> "difficult to find dream"? Are you talking about your project
>> management hat?

> Nope, I'm wearing my baseball cap.

Thanks for clearing that up :D

From: Wolfgang Kern on

Wannabee skrev:

>>> I asked you once for posting working code to go to ring0, in windows

>> There is a small demo at RosAsm Demos Page (3 ---> 0).

> I know, but last time I checked (years ago) this was for 9x. Does it work
> for NT as well?

I'm afraid it wont.
Some month ago a PL0-trick on early NTs was posted here.
Find more things like this here:

http://community.reverse-engineering.net/groupcp.php

__
wolfgang