From: Jim Carlock on
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:14:52 -0400
"Jim Carlock" wrote:

> Who uses what around here? Anyone else interested in a topic about
> who uses what (Linux OS specifically)?

"Charles Crayne" replied:
: My wife, also runs Fedora, running version 6. My server chuggs along
: on version 5.
: I dusted off an old 740k DOS 5.0 boot diskette

Is that a 720KB diskette slightly formatted a little different?

I recall doing such things with the 5.25" disk drives, but never really
got into doing those things with the 3.5" drives.

And do you have a system with version 7 installed? Have you played
around with version 7?

There's just too many different versions of one operating system around.
Even with a silly "Feisty Fawn" named Ubuntu thing. Anyone else messing
with Ubuntu? So far all I've got a command line that accepts the following
commands:

ls
cd
sudo

and a few others.

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Builders

From: //o//annabee on
P� Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:48:55 +0100, skrev Evenbit <nbaker2328(a)charter.net>:

> If a dozen people point to an empty area of a parking lot and they
> _all_ claim to see an elephant at that spot -- does this mean that the
> elephant is REALLY there??

If 4 people point at HLA and _all^4_ claim to see an assembler....

:) Good analogy, Evenbit!

> Nathan.

All this talk about ESP reminds me of the HLA userbase IQuation that is
also a little out of mainstream science:

Lim FHLA(u) = F(u^4 + c + k) = 80
u->oo

:)
From: CodeMonk on
//\\o//\\annabee wrote:

> How so? I am just trying to figure out if "Project Management hat
> doesn't tolerate BS at work." is a good thing or a bad thing.

I guess that depends on whether the *elusive dream* is a good thing or
a bad thing.

> But if you rather not talk about it...

My brain is wired to find solutions to problems. This particular
problem didn't require much thought.

- Scott
From: Robert Redelmeier on
Jim Carlock <anonymous(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in part:
> I recall doing such things with the 5.25" disk drives, but
> never really got into doing those things with the 3.5" drives.

ls /dev/fd0* Lots of different formats built-in.
`man superformat`

> There's just too many different versions of one operating
> system around. Even with a silly "Feisty Fawn" named Ubuntu
> thing. Anyone else messing with Ubuntu? So far all I've got a
> command line that accepts the following commands:

> ls cd sudo

Almost certainly a lot more. Try hitting [TAB] twice,
then answering `y`.

Personally, I've been using Slackware since 1994. It is
the most BSD of the Linux distros. Everything else has a
SysV-style /etc/rc.d with that horrible mess'o'symlinks.

-- Robert

From: Charles Crayne on
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:02:50 -0400
"Jim Carlock" <anonymous(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> And do you have a system with version 7 installed? Have you played
> around with version 7

Yes, my 64-bit development system is running Fedora version 7. Is there
something you would like to know about it?

-- Chuck