From: Jim Carlock on
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:25:44 -0400 "Jim Carlock" wrote:
> It's like a kid walking into a candy store for the first time, seeing
> ALL the different varieties and just diving into it all.

"Charles Crayne" wrote...
: Instead of having to settle for whatever Uncle Billie chooses to hand
: out.

> Is there a set of keys that end up as the standard Unix way to navigate
> through documents?

: Perusing documents is one area in which even I prefer to use a gui
: (gedit for text files & Open Office for most everything else). However,
: sometimes a cli is appropriate.

The book I'm reading through (it's much easier to read a book than
it is online documentation) is based on AT&T Unix System V and
Berkley Unix. It identifies differences between those two by using a
percent sign to indicate Berkley only.

Anyways, someone else provided another link to another Linux...
http://www.sidux.com/

Olaf Schmidt is a well-respected German fellow that participates in
the VB6 newsgroups and he stated the following...

<snip>
"Ubuntu is a Debian-based distro, wich wraps some
things in a way, that they don't work as in the "Original"
(e.g. a "crippled" root-acount, or the not so original
packetmanager) .

"I can recommend using Sidux, wich is based on the
top-actual debian-branch 'Sid' and comes with the
(somewhat more Windows-like) Desktop-Manager
KDE. www.sidux.com

"The great thing about Sidux is, that it works as a
Live-DC (you download an ISO-Image, wich you
can bind directly as "CD-Rom-Drive" to a Virtual-
Machine, but you can also burn the ISO-Image
to a CD-R and boot a complete working Linux-OS
(including Office and auto-detection of all Hardware)
from your CD-Rom-Drive within ca. 2 minutes."
</snip>

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.basic.visual.misc/browse_frm/thread/5f4ed93e8a6c1087/7f45dec5690ecda5#7f45dec5690ecda5

: It still exists in Linux, but most people use a more powerful version
: named 'less'. In addition to the usual navigation keys, such as page up,
: page down, home, end, and the cursor keys, one can search for a
: text string, move forward of backward by a specific number of lines,
: or move to a specific line number. The command 'man less' explains it
: all. Incidentally, the 'man' command uses the same keys.

Thanks. I found some information about stty and tset...

# set the erase and kill characters
# stty (BOURNE shell)
$ stty erase \^H kill \^X

# set the erase and kill characters on a Berkley system
# tset (Berkley systems)
% tset -e^H -k^X
Erase is set to Ctrl-H
Kill is set to Ctrl-X
%

The book also mentions that most "Unix" systems have "learn" command
and they give an acronym to it (CAI). So time to play with those things.

I think some folks here might find the sidux link above useful. I haven't
downloaded that yet, but it sure sounds interesting. Give thanks to Olaf
Schmidt for that.

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Builders

From: highdoe on

> Only on Planet-Betov.

LOL

I had a hard day at the office and I wanted to laugh a little bit but
Betov didn't post today. I am disappointed.

Please Betov, post something. I need to laugh.

; o )

From: Evenbit on

Jim Carlock wrote:

> : Perusing documents is one area in which even I prefer to use a gui
> : (gedit for text files & Open Office for most everything else). However,
> : sometimes a cli is appropriate.
>
> The book I'm reading through (it's much easier to read a book than
> it is online documentation) is based on AT&T Unix System V and
> Berkley Unix. It identifies differences between those two by using a
> percent sign to indicate Berkley only.

There you go! I've found "Guide to UNIX Using Linux" extremely
helpful. Also, a pocket command reference is priceless.

> Anyways, someone else provided another link to another Linux...
> http://www.sidux.com/

Well, before you jump to another ship of the fleet, are you going to
tell us if those external drives worked?

Nathan.

From: Charles Crayne on
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:47:21 -0400
"Jim Carlock" <anonymous(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> "The great thing about Sidux is, that it works as a
> Live-DC (you download an ISO-Image, wich you
> can bind directly as "CD-Rom-Drive" to a Virtual-
> Machine, but you can also burn the ISO-Image
> to a CD-R and boot a complete working Linux-OS
> (including Office and auto-detection of all Hardware)
> from your CD-Rom-Drive within ca. 2 minutes."

As of version 7, Fedora also has this capability.

-- Chuck
From: Betov on
"sevag.krikorian" <sevag.krikorian(a)gmail.com> �crivait

>> You probably mean *RadAsm*, because, as far as i can know,
>> you have written HIDE the very same way your master wrote
>> an Assembler, didn't you, minion?
>>

> Only on Planet-Betov. Here in the real world, HIDE and RadAsm are two
> different products that have a DLL in common.

Yes? The RadAsm Resources Editor and Sources Editors are
in the very same DLL?

:)

What else did you wrote, minion? The Window with a Menu?
Good. Mmmmm... no: Not _that_ good.

:)

But you were right with doing it, because Ketilo had no
time to follow up with the HLA incompatible versions that
are released every now and then.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >