From: Evenbit on
On Sep 2, 10:04 pm, Charles Crayne <ccra...(a)crayne.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:50:56 -0400
>
> "Jim Carlock" <anonym...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> > How do I switch to a different drive?
>
> At the user lever, Linux has no concept of physical drives. Everything
> that is installed on the system is available through the directory
> structure. When a switch to a different physical drive is required, it
> is done automatically, as a result of the user entering a change
> directory (cd) command.

Like Frank remarked, Canonical's "autobot" eliminates the need for Joe
to deal with 'mount' issues -- just load a CD/DVD or plug in a USB
stick to see an icon appear. However, it seems that "hotswapping"
parallel connected devices 'might' present a different experience.

Nathan.

From: Charles Crayne on
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 02:39:48 -0000
Evenbit <nbaker2328(a)charter.net> wrote:

> However, it seems that "hotswapping"
> parallel connected devices 'might' present a different experience.

For true "hotswapping", yes, but, given the appropriate drivers,
"coldswapping" should work just fine.

-- Chuck
From: Frank Kotler on
Jim Carlock wrote:
> "Evenbit" wrote...
> : Well, before you jump to another ship of the fleet, are you going
> : to tell us if those external drives worked?
>
> Okay. :-)
>
> I loaded XUBUNTU Gutsy

Something fundamentally wrong when we've gotta give ouselves cutesie
names...

> (the latest version). I first attempted an
> earlier version but was having problems and thought I'd try the latest
> (I think it's alpha or beta). I ended up with the same problems.
>
> Either way, the external drives that hook up through the parallel port
> are NOT plug and play. For an operating system to know they exist,
> one of two things must happen. Either the OS must have the drivers
> built into it and send a set of commands to the parallel port (none of
> the Microsoft OS ever did this and ever recognized the drives), or the
> drivers must be installed so as to let the OS know. I don't think ANY
> OS exists with such drivers, but who knows?

I would bet that such drivers do exist. But as you say, not plug and play!!!

> I keep looking in the \dev\ folder for the hard drive.

Well... all I've got are IDE drives (not that kinda IDE, Betov). The
show up as /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, and /dev/hda. Partitions are
/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, etc. I see /dev/pda, etc. - I suspect those
are/would be your parallel drives.

> I haven't learned
> how to switch to a different disk drive, yet.

As Chuck points out, just "cd" to 'em. But wait! First they've gotta be
"mounted"! When I last installed, the installer recognized existing
(IDE) drives and offered to add 'em to /etc/fstab for me, at a mount
point of my choosing. (mount point: where it shows up in the directory
tree) I've got a drive with Slackware 11 partially installed on it,
mounted as /slack11. On it, I've got a backup of my old Windows drive -
just before it crashed. I can access it (but not execute anything, of
course) as /slack11/home/fbk/doze/lang/nasm/source/myfile.asm, e.g. -
just as if it were a directory on the same drive. This applies to things
other than disk files - my webcam is at /dev/video, for example (haven't
figured out how to *use* it yet). When my Windows drive was alive, I
mounted it at /dos... Linux is "file system oriented" rather than "drive
oriented".

But if the drives aren't present - or aren't recognized - at "install
time", you'll have to edit /etc/fstab (think "fs tab", not "f stab" and
it's less threatening). I think this is where the Linux help groups
(some of 'em) say, "What are you, a newbie? You didn't know that?".

My /etc/fstab looks like this (I've cut down the spacing so it won't
wrap, hopefully):

/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb1 /vector ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 /slack11 ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdd /cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

I don't know what the last two lines are. It was like that when I found
it. The lines about the drives are device, mount point, file system
type, mount options, "dump" frequency ???, and fsck order (if checked)
at bootup. After RTFM (man fstab, man mount, , I don't see a man entry
for "dump" - dunno what that is), I see that the last column should be 2
for all but "/". Must fix that (seems to work anyway). Further, I don't
think Vector Linux lives on /dev/hdb1 anymore. Seems to be a dos/doze
drive of some kind - bootup whines piteously about this, but I've been
ignoring it. Lemme see...

Okay, as root, "fdisk /dev/hdb"/"p" informs me that /dev/hda1 is FAT32,
/dev/hdb2 is Linux, /dev/hdb3 is Linux swap... Lemme fix that in
/dev/fstab...

As root ("sudo" for Ubuntu folks, I guess), edit /etc/fstab,

/dev/hdb1 /dos vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/hdb2 /vector ext2 defaults 1 2

(you'll have to "mkdir" the directories for the mount points, they
aren't created automatically - the "standard" is to mount this stuff
under /mnt - /mnt/dos, /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom... I prefer 'em
"shallower", so I do it "my way") Come to think of it, you just *might*
find your external drives mounted under /mnt already... I kinda doubt it.

Do "mount -a"... presto, /dos and /vector are back. I'll bet bootup'll
be quieter, too. (I'm not going to test it right now - reboots are for
upgrades).

Hopefully, Joe User finds this process automated, or pre-installed for
him. Hopefully, Joe doesn't have any external parallel port devices.
*You* may need to jump through some hoops.

> And I haven't found a GUI
> interface yet for this XUBUNTU.

That seems strange. Try "startx"? If X isn't configured... Joe doen't
want to go through that! Starts out easy... keyboard, mouse... then they
get into the tough questions like vertical scan rate... Maybe not too
tough if you've got the manual for your hardware... The more X
configuration the installer does for you automatically, the happier
you'll be, IME.

> I keep doing the TAB TAB going
> through the list of commands that way. What a pain!

Yes! Until Robert mentioned it, I'd never done "TAB TAB y". I use ont
TAB for filename completion all the time - tar zxf somepkg- "what was
that version number?" - TAB! But TAB TAB y... that's pretty cool, though
tedious... I wonder if even Linus knows 'em all? (incidentally, 'q'
quits, you don't have to use control-c)

For "browsing", I like Midnight Commander - a text mode, GUI-like
multi-function shell. Type "mc". If Ubuntu doesn't come with it -
another strike against 'em! http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/

> I've currently rebooted the system and booted off the FEDORA 6 CDs.
> It's going through testing the CDs to make sure the CDs are safe to boot
> and install from. That's pretty nice. Yes, I'm getting ready to install the
> FEDORA 6.

That's a pretty popular distro - I assume it's "friendly". Let us know!

> How do I switch to a different drive?

"cd /my_mountpoint" all one filesystem.

> I've seen some things like drva,
> drvc, drvd, drve but perhaps I'm not remembering the names correctly,
> as it was during the install that I noticed the names.

Try "df" ("disk free"?). It'll list mounted drives.

> I'm at a loss at this
> very moment because I'm testing the FEDORA CDs getting ready to let
> FEDORA 6 install. It looks like there's a GUI there, which I did not find
> yet for the XUBUNTU Gutsy OS.

Courage!

Best,
Frank
From: Jim Carlock on
"Charles Crayne" wrote...
: At the user lever, Linux has no concept of physical drives. Everything
: that is installed on the system is available through the directory
: structure. When a switch to a different physical drive is required, it
: is done automatically, as a result of the user entering a change
: directory (cd) command.

Automatically?

It's all been command-line typing for me so far. Nothing automatic at all!
I saw a /dev/ folder, and I thought the drives could be accessed by going
into the /dev/ folder and then changing into the appropriate /dev/drvc/
or whatever name they were given.

I like the Fedora install a little better than the Xubuntu install.
I need to find out exactly what a /swap/ thing is. I'm thinking along
the lines that the /swap/ area was a virtual memory? The Fedora install
is taking an aweful long time (an AMD/K62-350 with 128MB of RAM and a
24x Teac CD). The keyboard on that system is a 1989 IBM keyboard. One
of the hard drives whistles (not a good thing, but it's done that for
years!). The system used to have Windows 98 SE. Wonder if I can spray
some WD40 to get the whistling to stop? <g> That seems to work on
whistling door hinges!

It appears there's some bad spots on the hard disk drive. I probably
should find some Western Digital software and see what that reports
about the drive. I've had great success with Western Digital drives
and have stuck with them for a long time.

Thanks Frank, Charles and Nathan!

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Builders

From: Wolfgang Kern on

Wannabee mentioned:

>> ...cooking, cleaning up, which I also do
>> myself (so lost for coding), I may have a job offer for you :)
>
> how you figure he will understand the shopping list

> 1. 74776F2070616972206F6620736F636B73
> 2. 4F6E6520636F6E7461696E6572206F662062656572
> 3. 33207061636B73206F6620636F6E646F6D6573

The beer seems ok, the first is rare and latter never needed here :)

Hex reading is a vital thing for those who work for me.
But as I everything hold as terse as possible this list would read:

1. 2*2 bot_cloth
2. all beer
3. 3 "tuas ned" ;xlat: "don't do it"

__