From: Evenbit on
On Aug 31, 12:33 am, Charles Crayne <ccra...(a)crayne.org> wrote:
> filter. It still exists in Linux, but most people use a more powerful
> version named 'less'. In addition to the usual navigation keys, such as
> page up, page down, home, end, and the cursor keys, one can search for a
> text string, move forward of backward by a specific number of lines, or
> move to a specific line number. The command 'man less' explains it all.
> Incidentally, the 'man' command uses the same keys.

I have a suspicion that this is because 'man' actually does little
more than executing this:

groff -Tascii -man <command>.1 | less

Nathan.

From: CodeMonk on
Evenbit wrote:

> Dang, Frank, you are REALLY GOOD at this.

Yep, he's a real ruby.

> you're just a 14-year old hacker

Nope, he's just a paid actor on the show "To_Catch_A_Hacker"

> Time to don my tin-foil hat.

Apparently. :)

- Scott
From: Jim Carlock on
"Evenbit" wrote...
: Well, before you jump to another ship of the fleet, are you going
: to tell us if those external drives worked?

Okay. :-)

I loaded XUBUNTU Gutsy (the latest version). I first attempted an
earlier version but was having problems and thought I'd try the latest
(I think it's alpha or beta). I ended up with the same problems.

Either way, the external drives that hook up through the parallel port
are NOT plug and play. For an operating system to know they exist,
one of two things must happen. Either the OS must have the drivers
built into it and send a set of commands to the parallel port (none of
the Microsoft OS ever did this and ever recognized the drives), or the
drivers must be installed so as to let the OS know. I don't think ANY
OS exists with such drivers, but who knows?

I keep looking in the \dev\ folder for the hard drive. I haven't learned
how to switch to a different disk drive, yet. And I haven't found a GUI
interface yet for this XUBUNTU. I keep doing the TAB TAB going
through the list of commands that way. What a pain!

I've currently rebooted the system and booted off the FEDORA 6 CDs.
It's going through testing the CDs to make sure the CDs are safe to boot
and install from. That's pretty nice. Yes, I'm getting ready to install the
FEDORA 6.

How do I switch to a different drive? I've seen some things like drva,
drvc, drvd, drve but perhaps I'm not remembering the names correctly,
as it was during the install that I noticed the names. I'm at a loss at this
very moment because I'm testing the FEDORA CDs getting ready to let
FEDORA 6 install. It looks like there's a GUI there, which I did not find
yet for the XUBUNTU Gutsy OS.

Thanks.

--
Jim Carlock
North Carolina Swimming Pool Builders

From: Evenbit on
On Sep 2, 7:50 pm, "Jim Carlock" <anonym...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Either way, the external drives that hook up through the parallel port
> are NOT plug and play. For an operating system to know they exist,
> one of two things must happen. Either the OS must have the drivers
> built into it and send a set of commands to the parallel port (none of
> the Microsoft OS ever did this and ever recognized the drives), or the
> drivers must be installed so as to let the OS know. I don't think ANY
> OS exists with such drivers, but who knows?

Only the "Universal" one. Work at the root tends to get carried to
the leaves. Doing a "sudo xsane" is poof enough that our caddie
brought along something from here:

http://www.torque.net/parport/

Nathan.

From: Charles Crayne on
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:50:56 -0400
"Jim Carlock" <anonymous(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> How do I switch to a different drive?

At the user lever, Linux has no concept of physical drives. Everything
that is installed on the system is available through the directory
structure. When a switch to a different physical drive is required, it
is done automatically, as a result of the user entering a change
directory (cd) command.

-- Chuck