From: Robert Dober on
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Aldric Giacomoni <aldric(a)trevoke.net> wrote:

> "Satz" means "thing" in German. I believe explaining this single thing
> makes it much simpler.
You must be kidding
Satz means amongst others, sentence, theorem, set (in tennis as well
as regading a collection of objects) thing, I really cannot come up
with a context for this.
Cheers
R.

--
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.”
--- Confucius

From: Robert Dober on
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Marvin Gülker <sutniuq(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
>> Aldric Giacomoni wrote:

>>> "Satz" means "thing" in German. I believe explaining this single thing
>>> makes it much simpler.

or a jump. Maybe we have covered most common usages now ;)

From: thunk on

buchstaben?!

Das Wort entstand wahrscheinlich aus den germanischen, zum Los
bestimmten Runenstäbchen (*bōks). Diese als Runen bezeichnete
Schriftzeichen wurden damals oft mittels Punzieren in Waffen, aber
auch in Stäbchen aus dem harten und schweren Holz der Buche geritzt.
Die derart beschriebenen Stäbchen benutzten die Germanen als Orakel
für wichtige Entscheidungen und nach einer Theorie leitet sich deshalb
das Wort „Buchstabe“ von diesen kultisch bedeutsamen Buchen-Stäbchen
ab. Nach einer anderen Theorie geht der Ausdruck „Buchstabe“ auf den
kräftigen Zentralstrich der Runen zurück, mit dem sie jeweils gebildet
werden. [1]

the author remembers puzzling on this in his highschool german class,
where he was about the only non-fluent german in the bunch. his
grandparents thought they spoke german, but it turned out to be some
dialect that didn't gain the author any respect :) just really weird
looks when it was his turn to speak.

it was his first real challenge, or so his saga might read....

he literally fell into the "Nebulungen" / poetry / sagas and such.
imagine reading detailed descriptions of ancient sagas with nothing
but a smattering of things like "wash cloths", "table", "walls", cats,
dogs and such as that.... ?? it was a strange/wonderful experience
he can read almost anything these days but can't speak, but thinks he
can after enough beer.

From: thunk on

on a serious note:

Seriously I do not know what this is either. I am not an experienced
progammer, as mentioned I was doing report-writers for McGraw-Hill in
the early 80's (because Fixed Assets needed 30 plus reports and
floppies were not going to hold anything else. Also screen
generators, our own db, and you just name it all, ol thunk invented it
because nothing but nothing was available in UCSD Pascal despite all
the dreams.)

I showed up here thinking the defining unit was a "Boid" but that
drags in too much AI baggage and this is not that, yet.

The ABS stuff seemed to be doing some similar things but looked like
something legacy like and smelled of c crud.

Actors seem clearly more "sophisticated" but, as of this moment, and
this is evolving as I get pinged here, it seems like the best fit.

A Ru'id does not seem to be nearly as powerful as an Actor. A ru'id
commands the stage for 0.0005 sec and is gone, only the "casing"
remains.

However, what the Ru'id lacks in Actor abilities, perhaps it gains
from simplicity, (distributability??), simple authorability and such
as these characteristics?

That is the author's best guess right now.

NEXT STEP - if there is to be one -

well, one offer on the table would be to bring the whole thing to some
trusted 3rd party and take a good look at it. no consulting fees,
this is not about that. but it is also not about taking time away
from the doable to talk about the meaning of distributed, ok?, the
ultimate thing would be to put this whole thing into a demo version
planted in the Heroko gardens and let everybody author sets of these
things to see what they can do. the author is not capable of that by
himself. the author can't imagine being at the center of a gitHub
club.

or the author really needs to get back to his work...

thunktoktor

From: Mark T on
Here's a problem space which may fit the description of the thunkaTron.

The set of browsers available increases each month.
Some are derivatives of a common code base.
Though these can have different javascript engines.
So across the javascript implementations, there are many differences.
There have been attempts to shim these.
Could a swarm of boids be sent flying around web sites:
1) Gain an element location, pick up the 'twig' = 'URL + xpath'.
2) Return this to a set of browser proxies.
3) Take the result to a 'nest' where growing javaBoids eat at the
edges until a single rule is obtained which:
Results in a shim routine which normalizes the behavior of a script.
The path of javascript over the next 5-10 years, coupled with the
xhtml (svg) + javascript could do with such a project.

Boids or no boids.

MarkT

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: [ANN] ThunkGen released!