From: thunk on

Josh,

you go to great effort to help a novice programmer, right?

so you have this 32+ plus year programmer that has seen a few things,
helped grown a new industry (first bitmapped, first DB'd, first new
class of product) and he IS NOT ABOUT selling anything.....

and you don't know how to deal with an "outlier", but how else would
you explain this, huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

and ol' thunk is not ashamed of this

or should he be?

From: thunk on

Josh, guys,

Try this on?

Ol thunk was doing "inter-Corporation" to factories in the 80's & 90's
what you guys are rather "doing to the world". We had DOS which was
solid enough and the job got done. Along came windoz and thunk walked
off, but he didn't die... he did Smalltalk, and kept himself
entertained doing micro-spits on ceramic substrates and such at places
like Alfred University Innovation Center and such..

THEN ol'thunk is looking over books at a Barnes & Noble and it is
about "Ruby" and he is rather - re-incarnated so to say. He goes off
and works and plays with some ruff-dogs in CO and gets some idea of
how the new world is shaped (Thank you Alcott) and he does some
Craigslist, finds some people in Berlin (his secret world capital) and
runs 3 official packages past a interesting couple people and he
senses ho-hum (he does this kinda thing - he was in business 15 - 30
years) and wings on a #4 which is this "shopping basket" idea.

He pushes a lot of code around even in his advancing years, goes
through the nights and piece by piece a puzzle emerges - all kinds of
things about "Systems" - recognizing one, diagnosing one, BUT his DSL
trick of Old blows up into a complex monster despite his very best
efforts, and despite that fact that Wisconsin hands him lot of cold,
windy nights to just do what he does.

A NEW approach, like 180 degrees opposite occurs to him using some
rules, well he outlines maybe 10 things that would have to happen to
make that come together, AND RUBY DOES THAT AND GOES ON TO SAY "hey, I
can do this too" - like those Simpleton Methods - wow -and a real guru
or two (amazing ramazians mostly) helps him along and a critique his
code and tell him - if you feel an urge to do a switch statement ol
timer - call me - those are tot/dead (they all seem to be germans) and
so the whole thing goes on - this is 3 years - and there is pressure
and there isn't - up here a good job ain't that good - there was a
consulting gig for a big yacht company and CNNs stuff for the British
owners - not without just changing the whole way they build their
boats - but the software they could use didn't fit with anything
except CinCom and.... but I digress.

So, saying this is not about RUBY doesn't fly

And saying this is about SALES - or BOOKS (mr ryan) would not be true

And saying this is just a waste of time, will be true if a connection
can't be made - but ol'thunk could headbutt with the Terminator. and
win. but he's really not into repeating himself to people that glaze
over, and you dear people do not strike me as that type, but maybe
this is the new world...and the old world is listening??

From: Josh Cheek on

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:05 PM, thunk <gmkoller(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> you go to great effort to help a novice programmer, right?
>

> so you have this 32+ plus year programmer that has seen a few things,
> helped grown a new industry (first bitmapped, first DB'd, first new
> class of product) and he IS NOT ABOUT selling anything.....
>
> and you don't know how to deal with an "outlier", but how else would
> you explain this, huh?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier
>

> and ol' thunk is not ashamed of this
>
> or should he be?

I don't know what you're talking about, my point is that you are spamming.

From: thunk on

what the devil is thunk spamming??

From: thunk on
On Apr 6, 3:43 pm, Josh Cheek <josh.ch...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:05 PM, thunk <gmkol...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Josh,
>
> > you go to great effort to help a novice programmer, right?
>
> > so you have this 32+ plus year programmer that has seen a few things,
> > helped grown a new industry (first bitmapped, first DB'd, first new
> > class of product) and he IS NOT ABOUT selling anything.....
>
> > and you don't know how to deal with an "outlier", but how else would
> > you explain this, huh?
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier
>
> > and ol' thunk is not ashamed of this
>
> > or should he be?
>
> I don't know what you're talking about, my point is that you are spamming..

CAN ONE REALLY "SPAM" AN IDEA??

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: [ANN] ThunkGen released!
Next: [ANN] Ember 0.1.0