From: Joe Forster/STA on
On May 16, 7:52 pm, Dragos <mglad...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> hmmm, other countries with higher violent crime rates than the US?
> unthinkable....
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/57125...

As a reminder from previous posts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence
From: Brandon Staggs on
"Joe Forster/STA" wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 16:02:40 -0700 (PDT):

> On May 16, 7:52 pm, Dragos <mglad...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> hmmm, other countries with higher violent crime rates than the US?
>> unthinkable....
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/57125...
>
> As a reminder from previous posts:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

The question here is if gun ownership increases violent crime.

The facts are that in the US, there are 90 guns for every 100 people,
though nobody knows for sure since there is no federal registry of
guns (thankfully). The fact is that violent crime in the USA is,
today, lower than it was in the early 90s, before the widespread
adoption of right-to-carry laws in many of the states. (This does not
mean right-to-carry *causes* lower violent crime -- I am not claiming
that.)

It is also a fact that for the purposes of statistics for anti-gun
zealots, "gun violence" includes accidents and also events where
someone defends themselves with guns.

--
-Brandon
http://www.brandonstaggs.com/c64.html
From: Six of Style on
I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that despite what
certain threads on usenet would suggest, C4 is a family friendly event.
There has never been (and AFAIC will never be) any sort of violence or
harassment of attendees at C4.

In the extremely unlikely event that someone were to cause problems, they
would be removed by our very capable security staff. In the even more
extremely unlikely event that they were to return or continue to disrupt or
harass the attendees, the police would immediately be contacted.

In case anyone has been misled by the tone of discussion in this thread,
you should know that the most unruly thing that has happened at a C4 so far
has been some attendees drinking too much in the hotel bar, probably
urinating on themselves, and passing out face-down in the lavatory of their
hotel rooms.

I am quite certain that I can speak for the officers of CCCC when I say
that there will be zero-tolerance for harassment, intimidation, or fighting
at C4. If anyone has a problem with this policy, they are welcome to
discuss it with me in person at the event. If anyone feels that they will
be unable to control their behavior, they should not attend.

Finally, FWIW, I have found in the past that people who actually intend to
follow through with threats do not deliver them via anonymous remailers.

6
From: EnergyAdvisor on
On May 24, 11:46 pm, Six of Style <s...(a)NOstyle64.SPAMorg> wrote:
> I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that despite what
> certain threads on usenet would suggest, C4 is a family friendly event.
> There has never been (and AFAIC will never be) any sort of violence or
> harassment of attendees at C4.
>
> In the extremely unlikely event that someone were to cause problems, they
> would be removed by our very capable security staff.  In the even more
> extremely unlikely event that they were to return or continue to disrupt or
> harass the attendees, the police would immediately be contacted.
>
> In case anyone has been misled by the tone of discussion in this thread,
> you should know that the most unruly thing that has happened at a C4 so far
> has been some attendees drinking too much in the hotel bar, probably
> urinating on themselves, and passing out face-down in the lavatory of their
> hotel rooms.
>
> I am quite certain that I can speak for the officers of CCCC when I say
> that there will be zero-tolerance for harassment, intimidation, or fighting
> at C4. If anyone has a problem with this policy, they are welcome to
> discuss it with me in person at the event. If anyone feels that they will
> be unable to control their behavior, they should not attend.
>
> Finally, FWIW, I have found in the past that people who actually intend to
> follow through with threats do not deliver them via anonymous remailers.
>
> 6

Gladson's a drama queen; I wouldn't be surprised if he faked the spoof
e-mail so he could draw attention to himself and go on his tiresome
little xenophobic diatribe yet again in a retro computing forum. I
find it disappointing that people are still feeding this troll.
From: Dragos on
oh noes, Pauline feels the need to chime in. His opinion is valued.
hahahahahahahahahahaha.