From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:16:00 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:05:44 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>And well worth the cost, if your ego requires it. Many years ago I
>>>considered applying for membership. Although I clearly qualified, I could
>>>not see any benefit to me. I get more enjoyment from a Gropper lithograph
>>>that was purchased for $10 and given to me because it reminded my client
>>>of
>>>me.
>>
>> If - as you claim - you "clearly" qualify for MENSA, then you have
>> taken MENSA's tests. I can only imagine that being done by someone
>> whose ego requires stroking.
>

>Straw man argument. Mensa also accepts certified results not administered by
>them.
>From th4e website, which you are free to look up'
>"Generally, there are two ways to prove that you qualify for Mensa: either
>take the Mensa test, or submit a qualifying test score from another test.
>There are a large number of intelligence tests that are "approved". More
>information on whether a test you have taken is approved, as well as
>information on the procedure for taking the Mensa test, can be obtained from
>the nearest Mensa office. "

Why would you take - allegedly - any IQ test? The Stanford Binet test
is administered to people from two to twenty-three for various
reasons. The Wonderlic is a personnel test. Other tests are given to
criminals and people with psychotic disorders. But why anyone would
take a full-blown IQ test for other than ego stroking is beyond me.

If you have the smarts, it shows. If you don't, you claim to be
clearly qualified.

>> If - as you claim - you "clearly" qualify you are hiding your
>> intellectual qualifications under a bushel based on your posts.
>
>I fully realize that compared to you, I am an imbecile. IOW, I have no
>intention of engaging you in a battle of wits. I do not fight unarmed
>people.

I really appreciate original barbs.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:08:06 +0100, Pete
<available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:

>On 2010-06-03 19:38:45 +0100, tony cooper said:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:39:26 +0100, Pete
>> <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:

>>> The UK NHS refers to it as "Down's syndrome" on many of its websites.
>>
>> There's a trend in medical writing to eliminate the possessive form of
>> a disease or condition that is an eponym of the discoverer. The style
>> guides of some of the journals call for the elimination of the
>> possessive form. Some style guides are silent on this.
>>
>> Further information at:
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2667526/
>
>If I discover a syndrome and it gets called Pete's Syndrome, I'd be
>pissed off if a group of twats decide to call it Pete Syndrome - that
>insults and labels the discoverer and implies that he/she also has it.

I don't quite follow that. "Pete's Syndrome" says that this is the
syndrome that Pete has just like "Pete's hat" is the hat that Pete
has.

>Here, if an applicant fills in a form to obtain assistance it will be
>automatically rejected if it does not match the wording of government
>websites. The motto is "If you want to be pedantic, great; we'll save
>money and have less work to do." YMMV.

I was referring to medical writing, but the government sites will soon
catch up. There was an article in _The Lancet_ that says "The
possessive form of an eponym should be discontinued, since the author
neither had nor owned the disorder." If _The Lancet_ and _BMJ_
(British Medical Journal) move to this writing convention in their
style guides, the government sites will follow.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: J. Clarke on
On 6/3/2010 6:55 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:16:00 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "tony cooper"<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> If - as you claim - you "clearly" qualify for MENSA, then you have
>>> taken MENSA's tests. I can only imagine that being done by someone
>>> whose ego requires stroking.
>>

>> Straw man argument. Mensa also accepts certified results not administered by
>> them.
>> From th4e website, which you are free to look up'
>> "Generally, there are two ways to prove that you qualify for Mensa: either
>> take the Mensa test, or submit a qualifying test score from another test.
>> There are a large number of intelligence tests that are "approved". More
>> information on whether a test you have taken is approved, as well as
>> information on the procedure for taking the Mensa test, can be obtained from
>> the nearest Mensa office. "
>
> Why would you take - allegedly - any IQ test? The Stanford Binet test
> is administered to people from two to twenty-three for various
> reasons. The Wonderlic is a personnel test. Other tests are given to
> criminals and people with psychotic disorders. But why anyone would
> take a full-blown IQ test for other than ego stroking is beyond me.

Mensa accepts, among other things, the SAT, the ACT, and the CEEB. Just
about everybody who lives in the US and has any kind of education beyond
high school has taken at least one of those.

The full list is on their Web site.

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-04 00:11:08 +0100, tony cooper said:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:08:06 +0100, Pete
> <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-03 19:38:45 +0100, tony cooper said:

>>> There's a trend in medical writing to eliminate the possessive form of
>>> a disease or condition that is an eponym of the discoverer. The style
>>> guides of some of the journals call for the elimination of the
>>> possessive form. Some style guides are silent on this.
>>>
>>> Further information at:
>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2667526/
>>
>> If I discover a syndrome and it gets called Pete's Syndrome, I'd be
>> pissed off if a group of twats decide to call it Pete Syndrome - that
>> insults and labels the discoverer and implies that he/she also has it.
>
> I don't quite follow that. "Pete's Syndrome" says that this is the
> syndrome that Pete has just like "Pete's hat" is the hat that Pete
> has.

Pete's invention, discovery etc. I'd never questioned it before. Like
many things, it just became ingrained.

>> Here, if an applicant fills in a form to obtain assistance it will be
>> automatically rejected if it does not match the wording of government
>> websites. The motto is "If you want to be pedantic, great; we'll save
>> money and have less work to do." YMMV.
>
> I was referring to medical writing, but the government sites will soon
> catch up. There was an article in _The Lancet_ that says "The
> possessive form of an eponym should be discontinued, since the author
> neither had nor owned the disorder." If _The Lancet_ and _BMJ_
> (British Medical Journal) move to this writing convention in their
> style guides, the government sites will follow.

I hope so. There could be a long delay before our medical practitioners
catch up. Many still deny certain illnesses exist even though they have
been classified by the WHO for over a decade.

--
Pete

From: Peter on

> Why would you take - allegedly - any IQ test? The Stanford Binet test
> is administered to people from two to twenty-three for various
> reasons. The Wonderlic is a personnel test. Other tests are given to
> criminals and people with psychotic disorders. But why anyone would
> take a full-blown IQ test for other than ego stroking is beyond me.

I have a pretty big ego. It doesn't need to be stroked.

--
Peter