From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 06:59:55 -0700, ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Mike Russell wrote:
>>
>>Why not make fun of some other disease than mental illness, just for a
>>change?
>
>If 'downs' syndrome is a Mongolian Idiot,
>then
>'ups' syndrome must be a Mongolian Genius.

It's "Down's Syndrome", but the current trend is to refer to as "Down
Syndrome". The name is derived from the UK physician John Langdon
Down who first described it in 1866.

Like many conditions, there are levels of impairment. They are not
all so limited in cognitive ability to be classified as "idiots".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> whisky-dave wrote:
>> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> I know I shouldn't reveal this, but I am on the admissions committee for
>>> the uber class, and the extra secret one that's above it such that I
>>> cannot mention its name, and probably shouldn't mention its
>>> existence.... If you wish to be considered for candidacy, we have a
>>> secure and non-googleable web site I will invite you to to start the
>>> process. Hit me off line.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>
>> What does it cost ?
>>

> It's a bargain at $800.00. The real costs are underwritten by the Trust.
> You get a couple of really nice wall hangings, framed sheepskin (real),
> hand lettered: a lifetime supply of stationery; and a gold pen set (18
> kt). Application fees are $150.00.

And well worth the cost, if your ego requires it. Many years ago I
considered applying for membership. Although I clearly qualified, I could
not see any benefit to me. I get more enjoyment from a Gropper lithograph
that was purchased for $10 and given to me because it reminded my client of
me.

I have never seen
--
Peter

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 06:59:55 -0700, ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Mike Russell wrote:
>>>
>>>Why not make fun of some other disease than mental illness, just for a
>>>change?
>>
>>If 'downs' syndrome is a Mongolian Idiot,
>>then
>>'ups' syndrome must be a Mongolian Genius.
>
> It's "Down's Syndrome", but the current trend is to refer to as "Down
> Syndrome". The name is derived from the UK physician John Langdon
> Down who first described it in 1866.
>
> Like many conditions, there are levels of impairment. They are not
> all so limited in cognitive ability to be classified as "idiots".

Absolutely correct. Many independently function in society. Many years ago I
was on the board of a training facility/workshop for people with
disabilities. They were trained in how to work within their limits. I found
it extremely gratifying to see the progress that could be made.

--
Peter

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-03 16:01:13 +0100, tony cooper said:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 06:59:55 -0700, ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Mike Russell wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not make fun of some other disease than mental illness, just for a
>>> change?
>>
>> If 'downs' syndrome is a Mongolian Idiot,
>> then
>> 'ups' syndrome must be a Mongolian Genius.
>
> It's "Down's Syndrome", but the current trend is to refer to as "Down
> Syndrome". The name is derived from the UK physician John Langdon
> Down who first described it in 1866.
>
> Like many conditions, there are levels of impairment. They are not
> all so limited in cognitive ability to be classified as "idiots".

The UK NHS refers to it as "Down's syndrome" on many of its websites.

Sufferers have learnt to play the "village idiot" role when expected,
which is often. Those that I have met and those I have seen on
documentaries have such uncanny insight that it makes me wonder if they
have "the true genius". Many syndromes and disorders give the sufferer
such a depth of understanding, of certain subjects, that "normal"
people appear idiots to them, yet they keep that opinion quiet until
specifically asked.

--
Pete

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-06-02 16:38:30 -0700, Mike Russell
<groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> said:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 07:09:27 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:
>
>> Rich has severe mental issues and he probably should be in therapy.
>> Perhaps it is time for a group intervention of some kind.
>
> Why not make fun of some other disease than mental illness, just for a
> change?
>
> Retard :-)

Actually, I am not making fun of him. I seriously believe he needs help.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor