From: John McWilliams on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-06-01 19:18:22 -0700, Mike Russell
> <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> said:

>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:03:00 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
>>> ...and you know that little fact, how?
>>
>> It's part of the definition of IQ.
>> http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQBasics.aspx
>
> Mike,
> I would have thought you would actually have read and understood what
> you posted.
> What Rich stated had nothing to do with the "definition of IQ".
>
> By definition the mean IQ of any given test population is 100. Therefore
> as per your own source average IQ falls in the 90-110 range.
> Also the scoring for any test population group is assumed to be evenly
> distributed, simply meaning there should be as many scoring above 100 as
> below.
>
> Also from your source;
> "Thus the deviation IQ replaced the ratio IQ. It compares people of the
> same age or age category and assumes that IQ is normally distributed,
> that the average (mean) is 100 and that the standard deviation is
> something like 15 (IQ tests sometimes differ in their standard
> deviations).
>
> What is a standard deviation (SD)? Simply put, the standard deviation
> is a measure of the spread of the sample from the mean. As a rule of
> thumb, about 2/3 of a sample is within 1 standard deviation from the
> mean. About 95% of the sample will be within 2 standard deviations from
> the mean (3).
>
> With the standard deviation and a mean, you can calculate percentiles.
> Percentiles tell you the percent of people that have a score equal to or
> lower than a certain score."
>
> Given that you are not going to find 72% of any test population scoring
> below 95.

Don't they grade on the curve?? And how come all the children in Lake
Wobegone are above average??

Flatulent minds wanna know.....

--
john mcwilliams
From: Twibil on
On Jun 1, 8:10 pm, Peter Irwin <pir...(a)ktb.net> wrote:

> >> 72% have IQ's under 95...
>
> > Yup.
>
> That can't be right.

Of course it isn't "right". Follow along:

RichA was claiming that anyone who enjoyed an iPhone must have an IQ
of less than 95; and that's not "right".

So I ironically agreed with RichA while pointing out that even if it
were true that 72% of the population had an IQ of under 95 there is no
proof that that 72% was composed of the same people who enjoyed
iPhones. So even if he hadn't been lying he *still* wouldn't have had
a point.

See?

Apparently we need a sign of some sort to let people know when our
irony meters have been working overtime.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/JRLloydIII/WebStuff/th_irony-meter..gif
From: Mike Russell on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:02:13 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

> Mike,
> I would have thought you would actually have read and understood what
> you posted.

sorry - thought you had an actual question, and not a snare.

All the bets
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Peter on
"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> Don't they grade on the curve?? And how come all the children in Lake
> Wobegone are above average??
>
> Flatulent minds wanna know.....

Because they walk barefoot to school in the winter, uphill both ways.

--
Peter

From: Allen on
Savageduck wrote:
<snip>
> Given that you are not going to find 72% of any test population scoring
> below 95.

One exception: the population of my killfile for this group.
Allen