From: Eeyore on

Arny Krueger wrote:

> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote
> > "Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote
>
> >> Implicit in the OP is the fact that the OP has
> >> apparently never used this particular desk before in his
> >> life, and his major experience with digital desks has
> >> been with an installed system, running the same shows
> >> over and over again, using a large format digital desk.
>
> >> With large format digital desks, you generally aren't
> >> doing that much with layers and menus, which is one
> >> reason why they are physically huge.
>
> > ... and that Phil was expecting a different desk when he
> > showed up. Had he known in advance what he would be using
> > I'm sure he would have spent more time in the manual to
> > figure out what he needed, and probably would have had an
> > easier time.
>
> IME, it takes a lot more than just reading a manual to get a person up to
> speed and comfort with digital consoles that have layers.

I'll bet ! I forsee no trouble whatever continuing to sell analogue desks for
decades.

Graham

From: Arny Krueger on
"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:4923ED64.8E36EECA(a)hotmail.com
> Arny Krueger wrote:
>
>> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote
>>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote

>>> ... and that Phil was expecting a different desk when he
>>> showed up. Had he known in advance what he would be
>>> using I'm sure he would have spent more time in the
>>> manual to figure out what he needed, and probably would
>>> have had an easier time.

>> IME, it takes a lot more than just reading a manual to
>> get a person up to speed and comfort with digital
>> consoles that have layers.

> I'll bet ! I foresee no trouble whatever continuing to
> sell analogue desks for decades.

Interesting question - will analog consoles hold on like analog prerecorded
media has. They've held on for 30 years or so.

I believe that the growth of the growth of digital consoles has been
throttled by some soon-to-expire patents.

From: Eeyore on

Arny Krueger wrote:

> "Eeyore" wrote in
> > Arny Krueger wrote:
> >> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote

> >> IME, it takes a lot more than just reading a manual to
> >> get a person up to speed and comfort with digital
> >> consoles that have layers.
>
> > I'll bet ! I foresee no trouble whatever continuing to
> > sell analogue desks for decades.
>
> Interesting question - will analog consoles hold on like analog prerecorded
> media has. They've held on for 30 years or so.

The knob per function and low cost of consoles with lowish numbers of channels
especially assures their continuation IMHO.

Take a look at this ....
http://www.cadac-sound.com/frameset.asp?P=products/S-Digital.html
They've gone out of their way to make it look and feel like an analogue desk.
Costy I'll venture though.

> I believe that the growth of the growth of digital consoles has been
> throttled by some soon-to-expire patents.

Anything in mind ?

Graham

From: Arny Krueger on
"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:4924434D.E3F32443(a)hotmail.com

> Arny Krueger wrote:

>>> I'll bet ! I foresee no trouble whatever continuing to
>>> sell analogue desks for decades.
>>
>> Interesting question - will analog consoles hold on like
>> analog prerecorded media has. They've held on for 30
>> years or so.

> The knob per function and low cost of consoles with
> lowish numbers of channels especially assures their
> continuation IMHO.

At some point the cost of ADCs, DACs, touch screen LCDs and DSPs will be so
low that even consoles like the small Behrs will be digital from ADC to
DAC. Then follow the trend to power amps with digital inputs and mic
cabling systems with digital I/O, and the console is digital from input to
output, and also includes speaker management.

Two connectors on the console of the future:

(1) power

(2) computer network

> Take a look at this ....
> http://www.cadac-sound.com/frameset.asp?P=products/S-Digital.html

I've looked at those before - obviously designed for the theatre and deep
pockets.

> They've gone out of their way to make it look and feel
> like an analogue desk. Costy I'll venture though.

http://installationeurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=935&Itemid=1

"BUSINESS: The professional audio world has been hit by yet another
depressing development with the news that UK-based mixing console
manufacturer Cadac Electronics has gone into administration. The surprise
announcement - which comes 40 years after the company's first consoles
rolled off the production line - follows what the manufacturer terms "a
sudden and unexpected fall-off in anticipated sales" of its analogue
products, writes David Davies."

I haven't heard anything more since then.

>> I believe that the growth of the growth of digital
>> consoles has been throttled by some soon-to-expire
>> patents.

> Anything in mind ?

The demise of the Behringer DDX 3216.

From: liquidator on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Arny Krueger wrote:

> > > I'll bet ! I foresee no trouble whatever continuing to
> > > sell analogue desks for decades.
> >
> > Interesting question - will analog consoles hold on like analog
prerecorded
> > media has. They've held on for 30 years or so.
>
> The knob per function and low cost of consoles with lowish numbers of
channels
> especially assures their continuation IMHO.
>
> Take a look at this ....
> http://www.cadac-sound.com/frameset.asp?P=products/S-Digital.html
> They've gone out of their way to make it look and feel like an analogue
desk.
> Costy I'll venture though.
>

> > I believe that the growth of the growth of digital consoles has been
> > throttled by some soon-to-expire patents.
>
> Anything in mind ?
>
> Graham

In addition to the patent issues, digital processing power constantly gets
cheaper...it will simply reach a point where digital will be so much cheaper
it will be sheer economics...tried to sell a film camera lately?

Some perfect condition 35mm that were $300 units down at the thrift store
for ten bucks if ya want them...in ten years analog will be a craft item,
not a work item.