From: liquidator on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > less than 20 years ago, And my Nikon can use my old nikon lenses from my
F3.

> Well that's sensible at least although isn't the focal length now
different ?

Absolutely not.

A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, period. What is different is the image sensor is
smaller than a 35mm negative, so th standard lens will be shorter, just as
when you go up to a 4x5 inch neg the normal lens would be longer.

What is considered an normal lens is relative to film size.

With a very small sensor the standard lens may be 10mm, with a larger
sensor it may be 18mm.

From: Eeyore on

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

> > hell you can still buy steel hoops for your wood spoked wagon wheels
> > as long as SOMEONE will pay for it, someone else will sell it
>
> I hear that AC/DC is touring with a restored Midas Pro40.

Well there's a thing !

Graham

From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> "Eeyore" wrote
> > liquidator wrote:
> >
> > > When leaded solder went away, defect rates on the 3216 skyrocketed. It
> > > just wasn't economical any more.
> > >
> > > They continued to be available for some time in markets where lead free
> > > solder wasn't mandated.
> >
> > Tin whiskers you reckon ?
>
> Hmmm- you might have nailed it. Mostly, it was around the processor AIUI.
> There are lots of tiny connections close together.

That would figure EXACTLY in that case. And don'y even get me started on 'tin
pest' !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_pest

> I hear the failure rate went up to an incredible number, the cost of re-dos
> was very high.

Lead-free solder is nuts. I WILL NOT use it. Lead was originally introduced into
tin solder precisely to solve these problems.

Graham

From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote
> >
> > Sorry, the 1st edition of this one.
> > http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Handbook-Third-Revised/dp/0679742042
>
> Was the original version late 70's with a different cover?

Indeed. A pic of an f3.5 24mm lens.

Graham

From: Bob Howes on

"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message

> ... and that Phil was expecting a different desk when he showed up. Had he
> known in advance what he would be using I'm sure he would have spent more
> time in the manual to figure out what he needed, and probably would have
> had an easier time.

I think this is a major issue here. I know that finding a fundamental
change from what I was expecting can take me "outside my comfort zone"
pretty fast. Add to this the fact that Phildo was trying to work with
somebody else's board set up which may not have suited his way of working
and I can see why he didn't like it.

To Phildo I'd say "don't give up on the LS9 just yet". I've mixed on one
quite a few times and, provided I can set it up to MY tastes it's quite a
nice little mixer that I enjoy using.

Bob