From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > I still have my 35mm Pentax. If you want REAL quality without spending
> > LOTS, it's the only way. Snapshots are another story. :-)
>
> Horses for courses. I can do better on my Nikon DSLR

Cost ? Plus how many lenses ?

> than most can with any 35.

Depends on film speed as much as anything.

> Good tools can make a good workman better- the best tools in the world
> won't help a poor one.
>
> BTW most quality work done these days in photo is digital.

Sure, for convenience if nothing else but those models are WELL pricey and look
more like a 35mm SLR (exchangable lenses and so on).

Graham

From: Arny Krueger on
"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message

> I don't believe the 3216 transgressed any patents...and
> frankly think little of anyone who asserts so.

I was wondering if you were still licking your wounds. Hope you feel better,
soon.

From: Arny Krueger on
"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:49247EE7.5AB93C1(a)hotmail.com
> Arny Krueger wrote:

>>> The knob per function and low cost of consoles with
>>> lowish numbers of channels especially assures their
>>> continuation IMHO.
>>
>> At some point the cost of ADCs, DACs, touch screen LCDs
>> and DSPs will be so low that even consoles like the
>> small Behrs will be digital from ADC to DAC. Then
>> follow the trend to power amps with digital inputs and
>> mic cabling systems with digital I/O, and the console
>> is digital from input to output, and also includes
>> speaker management.

> ADCs, DACs, LCDs and even touch screens are very mature
> products now.

Price/performance of ADCs and DACs continue to improve.

Consumer touch screen LCDs have historically been very limited in size, but
recently a new generation of larger and far more cost effective products
showed up in newer consumer products.

> Don't expect much drop in price there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

> I was using touch screen LCDs 17 years ago. I have a
> couple 'kicking around' still.

So was I, but they were limited in size if priced reasonably.

>> Two connectors on the console of the future:
>>
>> (1) power
>>
>> (2) computer network

> But that's NOT what lots of people WANT.

Product leadership is not about providing what people think they want based
on their past experiences, but anticipating what they will find attractive
once they see it.

> Plus you need
> your own chip designers and suitable chip foundry to do it,

I don't see why a digital console can't be done with off-the-shelf chips.

> which is why Yamaha are so far ahead in the game (at
> sensible costs at least).

No, all of Yamaha's digital consoles are way too costly for what they are.
By controlling the licensing of their patents, they are not shutting out the
competition, but forcing their competition to

(a) Help them be profitable with hefty license fees.

(b) help them be profitable by not providing stiff price competition.

>>> Anything in mind ?
>>
>> The demise of the Behringer DDX 3216.

> You think it transgressed some patents ?

It didn't have to, all it had to do is get enough attention from the owners
of related patents to make it more sensible for Behr to quit than fight.

> Probably Yamaha's ?

Or whoever's patents Yamaha is licensing. But, I think Yamaha.

If I'm right, inexpensive digital consoles will start coming out in the
next 5 years. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. ;-)

From: liquidator on

> > Horses for courses. I can do better on my Nikon DSLR
>
> Cost ? Plus how many lenses ?

Living in the past Graham. A good DSLR is less than a good film camera cost
less than 20 years ago, And my Nikon can use my old nikon lenses from my F3.

> > than most can with any 35.
>
> Depends on film speed as much as anything.

Certain film speeds are only useful for certain jobs...you have a "craft"
mentality versus a working photog mentality...and of course different films
can be warmer or colder depending on desired results...

> > Good tools can make a good workman better- the best tools in the world
> > won't help a poor one.
> >
> > BTW most quality work done these days in photo is digital.
>
> Sure, for convenience if nothing else but those models are WELL pricey and
look
> more like a 35mm SLR (exchangable lenses and so on).

Most quality studio digital isn't 35mm...neither was it in film...but yeah,
that stuff IS pricey.

For cheap and good, a Nikon D60 is hard to beat...bottom feeder dealers go
as low as $350 in the US- I don't consider that expensive at all. The camera
is better than 99.9% of the photogs on the planet...how good is needed?

From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> When leaded solder went away, defect rates on the 3216 skyrocketed. It just
> wasn't economical any more.
>
> They continued to be available for some time in markets where lead free
> solder wasn't mandated.

Tin whiskers you reckon ?

Graham