From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote
> >
> > > Horses for courses. I can do better on my Nikon DSLR
> >
> > Cost ? Plus how many lenses ?
>
> Living in the past Graham. A good DSLR is less than a good film camera cost

Not by my reckoning.

> less than 20 years ago, And my Nikon can use my old nikon lenses from my F3.

Well that's sensible at least although isn't the focal length now different ?

> > > than most can with any 35.
> >
> > Depends on film speed as much as anything.
>
> Certain film speeds are only useful for certain jobs...you have a "craft"
> mentality versus a working photog mentality...and of course different films
> can be warmer or colder depending on desired results...

Ever read this ?
http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372
I have the original edition.

> > > Good tools can make a good workman better- the best tools in the world
> > > won't help a poor one.
> > >
> > > BTW most quality work done these days in photo is digital.
> >
> > Sure, for convenience if nothing else but those models are WELL pricey and
> > look more like a 35mm SLR (exchangable lenses and so on).
>
> Most quality studio digital isn't 35mm...neither was it in film...but yeah,
> that stuff IS pricey.

In the past, studios would often use Hasselblads. What's the resolution of
2-1/4" sq ? Nearly bought a 2-1/4" sq SLR once too ! It was a bargain price. Oh
I was SO tempted. It was a Horseman and took Nikon lenses IIRC.

> For cheap and good, a Nikon D60 is hard to beat...bottom feeder dealers go
> as low as $350 in the US- I don't consider that expensive at all. The camera
> is better than 99.9% of the photogs on the planet...how good is needed?

If I had some Nikon lenses I might be tempted. Considered a Nikon F1 once. Have
Pentax got an equivalent ?

Graham

From: Eeyore on

Eeyore wrote:

> liquidator wrote:
> >
> > Certain film speeds are only useful for certain jobs...you have a "craft"
> > mentality versus a working photog mentality...and of course different films
> > can be warmer or colder depending on desired results...
>
> Ever read this ?
> http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372
> I have the original edition.

Sorry, the 1st edition of this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Handbook-Third-Revised/dp/0679742042

Graham

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 19/11/08 17:54, in article
j6ydnS0Aq8Jfz7nUnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Company"
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

(...)

> hell you can still buy steel hoops for your wood spoked wagon wheels
> as long as SOMEONE will pay for it, someone else will sell it

I hear that AC/DC is touring with a restored Midas Pro40.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: liquidator on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> liquidator wrote:
>
> > When leaded solder went away, defect rates on the 3216 skyrocketed. It
just
> > wasn't economical any more.
> >
> > They continued to be available for some time in markets where lead free
> > solder wasn't mandated.
>
> Tin whiskers you reckon ?
>
> Graham

Hmmm- you might have nailed it. Mostly, it was around the processor AIUI.
There are lots of tiny connections close together.

I hear the failure rate went up to an incredible number, the cost of re-dos
was very high.

From: liquidator on

> Eeyore wrote:
>
> > liquidator wrote:
> > >
> > > Certain film speeds are only useful for certain jobs...you have a
"craft"
> > > mentality versus a working photog mentality...and of course different
films
> > > can be warmer or colder depending on desired results...
> >
> > Ever read this ?
> > http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372
> > I have the original edition.
>
> Sorry, the 1st edition of this one.
> http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Handbook-Third-Revised/dp/0679742042
>
> Graham

Was the original version late 70's with a different cover?